Longarm Orientation Class

Following on from a previous post of renting out your machine, what would you include in a Longarm Orientation Class.  I actually do not have any intention of renting mine out but the ladies at my quilt group  are keen to visit my studio to see/try a machine so I'm attempting to put something together.

Thanks

Chris

Just load some fabric and let them push the machine around. They'll think it's fun and be so excited and intimidated by the size of it and the other people around that no information will stick in the brain. But it will be a lot of fun and you're kind to share it. Do a mini-talk about loading, stitch regulation, the business side, and the like.

This is what they really want to know--

How much did it cost?

Why did you buy this specific machine?

Sometime would you let me quilt something using it?

Share #1 if you like--I would share the cost. You're not bragging, just stating the facts. They already know how much a longarm can cost.

Talk about #2 and let them know what other brands are popular. And why you decided on this one.

Be firm with #3 if you don't want to rent it out. What they're really asking is can I use it for free, but you "interpret" the question as "will you rent it". If you purchased it for a business, be business-like. If you use it only for yourself, use whatever incident scares you the most about someone else using your machine. Refer to the recent thread you mentioned for all the horror stories!   :blink:

When responding to the cost of your machine you don't need to tell them your finances, just say "today, this machine model is $$$.  There are used machines at lower cost."  You might want to have the comparable models of other brands pricing as well.  It will give them something to think about and possible a few more customers for you depending on your response to #3.

-pros and cons of having a long arm.

-things to know about squaring a quilt and backing - and why you need that extra set of inches to load that quilt on a longarm, rather than when you pin baste manually.

-the business side, vs quilting for pleasure  (burnout)

-tension -  it happens on a longarm too

-pantograph vs edge to edge vs custom - show them how a pantograph works, and how much extra time it sometimes takes to do a pantograph vs just a freehand edge to edge.  

-physical difficulties or constraints of using a longarm  (eyes, back, shoulders, etc)

-space needed!   

Just brainstorming - hope that helps!  

Archived