Top and backing same size

Hey all,

Any suggestions, lady brought me a quilt and backing for it and they are the same size. There might be a 1/2 in. extra on the backing. Can this even be done? Wish I had noticed this earlier. First time customer.

Angela

Red Leaf Quilting

I think I'd call her and talk with her about it. She needs to add some extra fabric to it. She may want to pick it up and do this herself or she may have you do it (for a fee, of course). She probably didn't know since this is her first quilt.

I have had a customer give me a quilt with less than an inch on each side. I sewed some muslin scraps on the sides, but I had to be extra careful that the sides didn't wander any. She did have enough extra lengthwise. But I also let her know about it so that the next time she knew what I needed.

Hi Angela,

It can be done--if your quilting is not dense and you want to spend a lot of time fussing and basting before you start. This fussing and basting should NOT be free and may not work perfectly if the backing and/or the top have any squareness issues at all. I really would call her and let her know this. Also show her why you need a little extra. Most people that I quilt for want to make sure that I have everything I need so that I can do the best job for THEM. She probably feels the same way.

Good luck!

Jill Kerekes

I would call her and ask her if she wants to apply more to the back, or if she wants you to do it, then have a price ready for her. You can do it, like Jill said, but there is fuss involved. And personally, that is all I can think about while I am quilting is "am I going to make it". I hate that.

Tell her up front that she should add more backing, and tell her why...that the top and back get rolled through separately so by the time you get to the end of the quilt you are risking not having enough. I find that people just don't realize how this method is different from hand-quilting and once they are informed they have no problem with it.

If you just go ahead and then run out of backing you'll feel bad and she'll probably think it's your fault.

With one quilter, her border was quite large and I told her that if it was my quilt I'd probably just trim the top down a bit all the way around (if it doesn't interfere with the pattern or size needs of the quilt itself). In this case, she found that a good alternative.

Both Jill and Mary Beth are right it can be done, but its such a PITA to do. I would call her and explain that you just now opened her package to start and realized that the back was to small and ask her how she wants you to handle it (she make new back or for an extra price you fix it however you see fit). Also there is the chance that she will just say do it like it is....but she will need to realize the chances of her loosing inches from her top when it needs to be cut back to fit the binding.

I had a customer give me 18 ALL alike Christmas themed quilts with flannel backings that were from 3 to 4 inches to narrow....luckly she had extra wide outside borders and we just cut each side to fit its backing after it was quilted....what a headache by the time I was done, but didn't look to bad, just not how I would have done it if they had been mine.

Well, I called her and she came and picked it up today. She thought that she had left more on the backing. So thankfully she will fix and bring it back. I had offered to trim the top but it was only 64 in. wide and it was for a twin size bed. She said she would add another 3 inches all the way around. Should be ok since the backing was pieced also. Now I just have to wait for her to bring it back.

Thank you everyone who responded. I really appreciate the help that you all are willing to share. So much knowledge and wisdom out there.

THANKS,

Angela

Archived