Trouble getting quilt to lay correctly

Ok, I'm fried. I have just taken this quilt off the 2 nd time removing all basting pins and basting threads. What am I doing wrong!

This quilt is called Tonga and has blocks set on the diagonal. Center medallion style with blocks surrounding. Has any one ever tried basting the top on the batting,( warm and natural) and then putting it on the machine. I feel I need to see the quilt top laid out flat to manipulate the blocks into square.

Anyone please help!post-1280-0-13663800-1436756933_thumb.jpg

I agree that seeing the whole thing laid out so you can identify the problem areas is a great idea. Unfortunately, basting it to just the batting is problematic. Your DSM won't be happy with the batting next to the feed dogs and it might add to your problems. With the top laying flat you should be able to identify the bad spots. Maybe draft the top, labeling the problem blocks with what the measurements should be. Pin post-its to each bad block with corrected measurements before you load. Check borders for straight and square.  Then after loading it again you'll know where the whoopsies are and can pin or stitch-baste carefully as you advance down the quilt. Good luck---get some rest and start with new energy tomorrow. I feel your pain. :unsure:

I quilted this quilt for a customer a few years ago.  I can't seem to find the pics on this computer though...I think they're on my old computer...  I remember using a lot of pins.  I did use a wiggle type of stitch on the strip piecing on the cabin blocks and on the triangle piecing.  I think also some leafy fern.  I used the wiggle stitch to avoid doing SID and I have better luck with easing in fullness from blocks that are a little too big.  If I come across the pics, I'll post some.  Good luck.  I don't think I would baste the top to the batting though.

I have only done one quilt so far pieced diagonally.....after I loaded it...I think it is called a semi-float where I loaded the top onto the belly bar end by pinning to the leader and then basted the top to the backing and batting after making a horizontal line with my channel lock to line it up with....Then I placed two bands of painter's tape all around the lever bar where the edges of the quilt top lined up so I could check and make sure it was still feeding straight as I worked and advanced the quilt...Is there a better way to make sure it stays squared up?  I also pin based the sides of the top as I worked....lin

Archived