What to charge

Got a request to make a quilt. I started to figure out what to charge and not sure if I should ask for more or if I am way under charging. What do you think? The pattern is In Full Bloom out of the Quilts to Come Home to book by Joy Hoffman and Darlene Zimmerman. It uses the Tri Recs, Tri-Mate Easy Angle and Companion Angle tools. Which I have. Plus, I will need to buy the Easy Scallop tool to do the border. She wants it to be 90 x 100 the pattern is 82 x100. I have never done a scalloped border and told her that. There will be lots of cutting and piecing.

I figured out the fabric at about 24.25 yards @ $10.00 a yd = $242.50. About $118.00 to quilt it (panto) and to bind it about $120.00. Plus the thread and batting. LQS is 45 miles away.

I recently did a quilt for some one I knew through class with my daughter. It was 80 x80 and had applique on it. Made huge mistake on calculating the top and it took a lot longer than it should have. I only charged them $400.00. We live in one of the poorest counties in the state. Not done yet with it and have made nothing on it but a headache.

So know I have this other quilt to make and don't want to give it away. How much would you charge for the piecing part of it. Plus, the customer is my mother who said I better charge her what I would anybody else who wanted me to make the same quilt. Hard thing is, it is her that I go to about all my problems since she is my best friend. Hard to ask her what she thinks, since she kind of knows my other problems with charging.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

Angela

Red Leaf Quilting

I think that you might want to try estimating the hours it will take to piece based on what you already know of your piecing skills, decide how much per hour you want to make - and be fair to yourself! - and give an estimate of that amount. Perhaps along the way you could give your customer a revised estimate based on how you are progressing.

I don't think who the customer is should factor in to it........

jm2cents!

Hey Laurie and Angela,

I'm so glad that you posted this question, and then you (Laurie) responded. I've been asked in the past, and anticipate more requests for me to make quilts for people, and haven't a clue as to what to ask. If anyone wants to come up with a formula, that would be fabulous!

beth

The old rule of thumb for pricing (when doing craft type projects for sale) is the cost of materials (fabric, thread, needles, etc...) X 2 and sometimes X 2 1/2 depending on how difficult the pattern is to construct the top. Then add the cost that you normally charge a customer for long arm quilting (if it will be an ETE design than .015 per sq. inch. If custom than about .03 per sq inch. ) Then since it is your mother do you want to give her a percentage off because she is your mom? if so than deduct that amount from the end and that will be your price.

Joann

For me it would be hard to charge by the hour since some times I might get to sew a piece here and there and not be able to sit down for any length of time. Married with three kids and someone is always home with me. So I get interupted a lot to get food and what not. Wish I had a room I could lock the door to so I could be left alone when I am sewing. On the bright side I can sit at the dinning room table, sew and still keep an eye on everyone since we have a very open floor plan upstairs. I have done a search but some talk about up to a $100 per square yard when piecing, not sure I would feel comfortable to do that. That would be $700 plus material would be like $1200. But would like to make some money for my time. Have a LA to pay for. Which is why I think my mom asked me to do this for her, not that she needs a new quilt on her bed. I make her blankets and wall hangings all the time.

Thanks for the advice so far. I really appreciate it.

Angela

I've seen estimates of $13-15 per square foot for piecing.

I would make up a block and see how long it took you and then consider the other time - prewashing, ironing and cutting the fabric, etc. I've made several quilts for customers and I've gotten about $10-15/hour - there comes a point when the customer just can't pay much more.

Good luck -

Julia

Hi Angela!

I've been asked by people to make quilts too, and I think it's a very tough thing. You have to ask yourself if this is something that you want to add to your business, or if this is just kind of a one time thing that you are doing for your Mom. If you have a good long arm business going, you can make a lot more $$$$ long arming than you can piecing. If you WANT your business to go in that direction, it's your choice, but you really need to be very, very smart about what you charge. Also, you need to think about how it will affect your life. Will you work only on that quilt until it is complete, or will you work on it and quilt tops for others at the same time? Are you going to care that you are not working on YOUR stuff, or will it matter to you?

You will never, ever, ever be paid well for piecing a quilt unless you become very famous. Even then, I don't think you will make very much on the quilt, but the quilt can be used for you to get teaching jobs, etc. I know that we don't make quilts to become rich, but we do quilt quilts to earn some $$$$$. Do you want your business to go in that direction? Think very, very hard about that. I'm not saying that you shouldn't make one for your mother---but she is your mother. If she wants to pay you for it, so be it. You have to make a choice about how or if you want to fit it into your business. There is a big fat reason why the majority of quilters to not make quilts for people for money----it just really doesn't pay anything and can be very, very stressful. While you are making peanuts piecing a top, you could be making a lot more per hour quilting and/or developing your skills. With three kids at home, where do you want your time to be used?

Can you tell that I have an opinion about this:)? I have 4 kids at home, ages 3 to 8 1/2 and a hopping quilting business. I get annoyed when people want me to bind a quilt--even though I charge a good penny for it. It's not about the money--it's about how I spend my precious time. I'd rather be long-arming OR working on my own stuff at my DSM, and not working on someone else's stuff. Once my own quilt is completed, I will absolutely give it away, or even sell it(not that I've sold anything:)), but I enjoy the process of making a quilt way too much to do it to make a few cents. I would rather make the top for free than get paid $1.50 an hour because it would be less insulting!

You have to make your own decisions and run your business in the manner that works best for you. It has been my experience that people will flock to you if they know that you will piece tops for pay too---and you really, really need to think about the direction of your business before you get mired into something that isn't right for you.

Good luck and God Bless!

Jill Kerekes

Thanks Jill,

I understand what you are saying. I do have a LA quilting business. I just started the first of the year. So I have only done a few quilts for customers. Making the tops are a way to supplement my income so I can pay for my LA. The quilting jobs are my priority and I have let them know that when taking on a whole quilt. The other one I have had at least 2 months to work on it. Just finally got the backing that was ordered from 2 months ago. But I still have a month to finish it since it is a graduation present for an exchange student from Spain. So not a lot of pressure to get it done. Although it does take time away from trying to build my business too. And the one for my mom is not a rush job either but it will be enough to make a monthly payment. I will have to think long and hard before taking on any other tops.

Thanks,

Angela

Angela

Archived