Update on DH, move & my first quilt entered into a show

Hello all - I just wanted to bring you all up to date with my DH, Bill. He started his 4th week of Radiation last week and has about 9 treatments left to go. He also was on a chemo pump 24/7 that they had to take off of him as he was having some really bad reactions to. He was off about 10 days and they put him back on the chemo pump last Friday. That will come off at the same time that the radiation treatments end. We have also been put on a list for any possible OHSU research studies being done that he may be qualified for.

We did find a house and I can't remember who said it in the last thread regarding this but that God would find us a better home and He did exactly that. We move on May 7th. The studioI will have a 15 x 22 room with big windows on 2 sides, a bathroom and an 15 x 12 office that was all added onto the home a few years ago and is at the opposite end of the house from the bedrooms so my quilting shouldn't keep DH from getting the rest that he needs. There are 2 decks on the house, one is on the West side of the house and the other and smaller one is on the North side. I plan on doing some sitting on them with DH and having our morning cup-a-coffee and chatting everyday. I hope that daydream comes true.

I entered my first quilt in a show for judging (Willamette Valley Quilt Guild) and I didn't win any ribbons, but the judges both stated that my quilting on it was excellent ! My Piecing was "good" but they stated "that my quilting made the quilts mood"! People have told me that, but to hear it from 2 people who didn't know me say the same thing really made my day, week, month, etc.... Some very good news that I needed after the past 5 weeks. I do have some pictures of it on my web shots. It's the Blue & Yellow sampler one that I named "Glory, what a morning" if you would like to go and look at it.

Thank you again for letting me just talk. Your prayers are blessings to us and we are anticipating a miracle. Hugs to you all.

Pat,

It is good to read your update, I've been thinking about you both and was hopeful that things were going well.

Congratulations on finding that house, it sounds exactly perfect. I know your church family, "moving crew" are ready to get started. I'm so glad that you have them to help you at this time.

Wow, your first quilt in a show! I have not gotten my nerve up yet for that. Sounds like the judges like your quilt. I'm going to your site after I type this to take a look.

Hang in there and know you are still in our thoughts and prayers.

Mary Beth

Pat, thanks for the update. I am glad to read your news about the house, and your quilts too! You are very brave, entering in a quilt show and walking your journey all at the same time. I am glad your quilts brought you good news too. May you have many happy years of sitting on your decks with your DH. Prayers are with you both during this move. Let us Oregonian quilters know if there's anything we can help with.

Note to your first quilt -- I just entered my first embroidered quilt in HMQS and I didn't get any ribbon or anything either, but I must admit that I was totally embarased when my quilt looked so bad hanging on the sleeve I had made -- I took numerous photo's of it sitting on my bed (although I never used it), I guess when I made the sleeve. I know when I sewed the sleeve I was just basting and I went off where I meant to and made a V shape, and I guess some of the sleeve didn't fit real good and it looked like it had to be squeezed on to the tube, you can imagine my embarassment when I saw it like that, the quilt honestly doesn't look like that, -- I don't think I would have had the nerve to even enter it had I known. but it was truly my mistake and I hope everyone, lookers and judges realized part of the problem but they probably didn't thus I continued to be embarassed, until the next day when I saw some of it had fallen out, I guess even the way it was rolled up in the bag made some folds and may have been more more reason for it NOT looking like straight. I just decided to live and learn and maybe next time, I'll make something to see how it will really hang. My hat goes off to everyone who entered the contests. I was getting weary working on mine so hard to get it done and imagine many others did too. So hats off to all you quilters and thank you so much for sharing. I hope somone out there enjoyed seeing mine too.

purposely withholding my name.....(just kidding), I'm still proud of my work!!!!

Hi Lindy,

I am glad you posted your little story about your quilt in the show. I think it is awesome that people put their quilts up for show. There are so many beautiful quilts to appreciate, and I can appreciate all of them ...even those quilts that are kinda-sorta hanging ever so slightly off of the tube in the back....;) Really. :) You should be proud that you took that bold step. You did it. So, forgive me saying the old adage, but nothing ventured nothing gained. You learned and gained from the experience, but I also think you were way more critical than anyone would ever consider. I am sure your quilt was lovely and many people enjoyed looking at it.

PattyJo;

Miracles happen every day, you just have to be open enough to regonize them when they come your way. :)

Wow, the new house seems to be a perfect match for you & your quilt studio. See God is watching out for you & your DH.

I am glad to hear that your DH is tolerating the chemo better.

Joann

Hi - its just me again. Bill started having a nausious problem from the chemo. Please, could you pray that the medication for this would really help him. It is so hard to stand by and not be able to do anything to help him. Thank you. We both appreciate your prayers

Pat,

I'm praying for Bill, that God will give him the comfort and peace that only He can give. I know this is a difficult time for Bill and for you. I pray that God will give you the rest and comfort that you need to help Bill through this time. I pray that God will give you the strenght to face each day with hope. Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers every day.

Mary Beth

Prayers going up for Bill and for you. I know very well the pain of standing by helpless while your loved one suffers. May you find something to put your hands and heart to during this time, and may Bill have rest from his nausea and other discomforts very, very soon!

I remember reading a book by Eugenia Price. She has written a lot of Christian historical novels, but the first book she wrote was the story of her journey of faith. At one point she was making a living by cleaning an apartment building, I think, and she told how she used to cringe, having to deal with the trash cans which were kept under a stairwell. She said it was so very, very hard, after the kind of high life she used to live (apparently), until she remembered Jesus was right there in that stairwell with her, picking up the trash among the rats etc. And there's a story told by a man in a concentration camp, when he couldn't make sense of the hanging of a boy. He told how he had asked, "Where is God now!" to his fellow Jews (I think they were all Jews). And one man spoke and said, "He's right there on that gallows with that boy."

What I mean by sharing all this is to help you remember, there is Another feeling every pain you are feeling right now, walking down every unsure pathway, watching Bill struggling. And He is feeling Bill's pain too. "And with His stripes we are healed" have been very comforting words to me. May this knowledge serve to ease your journey, Bill and Pat.

Many blessings fall upon you today from above, I pray. :)

Pat & Bill, I'm praying that that these drugs and chemicals go into his body, go exactly where they are supposed to go and do exactly what they are supposed to do with complete success and without side effects. I have to take meds everyday, one is something they also use for some breast cancers so can have the same effects as chemo, nausea and hair loss. I've been on it for 10 years now, and I still have my hair and don't get sick, AND I'm not in a wheelchair & completely disabled like the doctor's prognosis was 10 years ago! LOL! God is good, ALL the time, when we pray, He always hears and He always answers! So having done all to stand, stand therefore....

Archived