What's too many stitches for a used machine?

There are one or two used machines I may be interested in, but a question for all of you seasoned users:

When I am looking for a used machine, how many stitches are "too many" (or too used) to really be considered?

Is there such a problem? I would think at some point a machine could wear out...right?

What is 'too high' a number?

I don't think there is a problem with being too used.  Brenda's Millie is ten years old and has been running 30 plus hours a week since new.  The most expensive repair so far was the motor which we just replaced.  We've replaced the wheels a couple of times and done bushings for the needle bar, rocker and hopping foot.  All together maybe a thousand dollars over the ten years.  Stitch counters on APQS machines are fairly recent ours don't have them.  I haven't seen anything on an APQS machine that you can't service at home.  BTW my Ultimate 1 is over 16 years old and it also runs 30 plus hours a week since I bought it 5 years ago.

Nigel

I would not hesitate getting a used APQS machine, even a vintage machine like the Ultimate. If there is a specific machine you are looking at, you might get the serial number and check with APQS to see what service has been done. There have been some lightly used machines on this Forum. If you're patient, there's a fantastic deal waiting for you.

Red:  If using the machine every day is your intention, they are NOT a bad investment.  Just make sure you buy a first line machine (APQS, A-1, Gammill, Innova, Nolting Pro, or Prodigy).  They are industrial quality, really durable, repairable, and will serve you well for decades.  Jim 

Archived