I looked over the vendor list and would not be surprised if it is complete. That is about the same list of vendors as they had the first year in Wichita. Friends who attended in Cedar Rapids last year said the vendor selection was not impressive.

Okay, sorry to flood this page with posts. I have a number of web pages saved as favorites so I can click and order  :D  :P  So I have been going through each one to see their "Show Schedule" for the next few months. I have found a few that are listed as going to MQS, but they are not on the MQS vendor list. I will relax a little. I know this is no Houston show, but it was pretty big stuff at one time. At least I know there will be a stencil vendor there, I am happy now. 

I went last year, and will be attending again this year. Last year there were vendors missing that we hoped to see. There was a stencil vendor there, hopefully they will be there again. It definitely is not like Overland Park, KS with all those vendors.

See you in Cedar Rapids!

I am not trying to plug Southwest Airlines, but they have cheap flights. I would think, the the MQS people were thinking, they would at least hold the show in the same city Southwest flies into/out of. The less you spend on travel, the more you can spend on goodies. 

Do you think these two shows are too close together in proximity and dates? I understand that one is about the quilts, and one is about the quilting, but for a vendor, where are they going to see the most traffic? 

MQS - May 11-14 - Cedar Rapids, Iowa

American Quilt Expo - Des Moines, Iowa - May 26-28 

International Quilt Show - Chicago - April 7 - 9

MQS people need to put a little more thought into the big picture, not just where they can get the cheapest venue. Yes, Overland Park is probably expensive. But there are a couple of convention centers near the airport in Kansas City. And Kansas City is in a duel with Overland Park to get the business on the Missouri side of the state line. Why not try to deal with someone on the Missouri side to see what they can do? 

I know other cities have great venues too. I just think they need to spread out the quilt shows, dates and times. 

Cedar Rapids is probably a fine place to have the show, but they need a place with a better airport. A larger city with an attraction. At one time it was in Springfield, MO. My hometown. What the heck is in Springfield? Not a great airport that is for sure. Only a couple of quilt stores. No food claim to fame. No great museums. No nothing. (Sorry Springfield, I love you, just trying to be real). 

I don't know the answer, I just know I really like MQS, I hope they don't dwindle away. 

I'm with you Mary Beth.  I understand the reason they changed from Overland Park to Wichita was they weren't pleased with the food vendors in OP and thought they would get a bigger draw from Texas if they moved to Wichita.  That didn't work.  I don't know the motivation of moving to Cedar Rapids, but it doesn't seem to be the most convenient location.  I haven't been there, but am still trying to figure out a way for this year.  I really miss going to the show - and taking classes!!!

When they were wanting to move, my fingers were crossed for Omaha. They have a HUGE convention center across the river, (which happens to be on the Iowa side), but that is where ALL the big shows of all kinds go. Concerts and ALL!

Plus EVERY airline fly's to Omaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

Plus, hotels GALORE!

My take - there are way too many major quilt shows - the vendors can't afford to have a booth at every one of them.   And we quilters can't afford to attend all of them.  We've had AQS here in Des Moines for some 7 years now - and I've seen the vendor participation become less each year.  The same with MQS and MQX  (the Midwest one in Springfield IL - didn't attend theirs in NH) - it appeared to me there were fewer vendors at these shows as well.  AQS now has eight shows each year.  And how many quilt shows does the Mancuso Shows put on?

The conference centers are all out there bidding for shows to fill their spaces - quilt shows, concerts - whatever venue they can get to come.   It's a very competitive business, with many of them expanding their spaces and hotels to lure business.

Some of the instructors at the various quilt shows also had booths - now they're no longer instructing at the shows - turning instead to the internet for teaching - YouTube, Craftsy, iQuilt, etc.  So the shows lose a vendor booth and instructor. 

My take - there are way too many major quilt shows

Some of the instructors at the various quilt shows also had booths - now they're no longer instructing at the shows - turning instead to the internet for teaching - YouTube, Craftsy, iQuilt, etc.  So the shows lose a vendor booth and instructor. 

These two points are very good. When I was quilting before, I would buy rulers and get them home and not have a clue how to use them. Now you can bring them up on the internet and away you go. It must be much less expensive for the teacher to teach online, than to travel. For the student it is better too. Also, no changing the format. VHS, DVD, etc. Your class is online and all you need it the password. Pretty good stuff. But then we miss the comradery. Some of the best friends I have, I met through APQS chat and going to MQS. 

Archived