Computerized Quilting..any comments?

I'm new to the quilting world and was looking into computerized quilting. I'd say I've done my homework, but I'm also curious about something. I know the devises will quilt panto patterns and blocks etc, but is there something they don't do that they should. I guess my question is what do you wish a computerized quilter would do that it doesn't do?

Thanks for your help!!

Load the quilt:)

I have a CompuQuilter and it can do almost everything. One of the things I haven't been able to do with it is background fillers. It is very difficult to set the system to do fillers.

Also, I would love to be able to see the system set up an entire quilt with different blocks. Doing a panto, you can see how the entire quilt will look, but when using different designs in blocks, borders, etc. you can't see what the finished quilt design will look like. I would also like to be able to set up a wholecloth design and then stitch it out in sections.

I haven't tried doing cross hatching yet, but I understand it can be done but some say it is easier to do it with rulers and your channel locks.

These are just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Guest Linda S

If you get the new Intelliquilter, you can do just about anything. I don't think they have perfected the last design module yet that allows you to do very intricate designs of your own, but it's coming.

Linda

Hi everyone

Joe, I'm not sure if you are looking to compare systems to see which one offers the most features but if you are I'd answer your questions this way.

All systems offer panto quilting, some offer pantos and blocks, others offer pantos, blocks, and the ability to digitise and use your own designs. Prices of set-ups vary according to the "level" features.

While Statler and Intelliquilter offer all the basic features plus retrace, CQ offers all the basic features plus, boundaries, array, corners and they are just about to release their updated software, the features are secret at the moment, but are going to make CQ stand head and shoulders above anything else on the market (imho). I think this release is due out very soon once it has been thoroughly beta tested.

The CQ system was developed 7 years ago and the designer Stan Townsen is continually working on upgrades which are provided free of charge. From time to time we are encouraged to let him know what we would like to see in the next upgrade and boundaries, the linear, circular and wreath array in the last upgrade were a result of those customers. The features of the new upgrade are a result of customers requests.

The only way I can see it being improved is by it being able to adapt a fill design to stitch behind applique without the need to draw that design.

Jo, I'd suggest you do a search on the different options and compare them feature by feature then ask other computer quilter owners which they use the most. I use Boundaries on nearly every quilt and find the array feature an economical way to purchase designs. I buy a motif and CQ can quilt it automatically in a border, as a motif or as a block design, in a wreath.

Good luck in your research.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

I have a question about CQ if someone can answer I would really appreciate it.

When you do borders on the CQ do you still have to rotate the quilt to quilt the side borders or can CQ stitch the side borders as you advance the quilt which would eliminate the need to rotate the quilt?

I have been thinking really serious of adding the CQ to my machine to increase productivity for my business. DH & I are thinking that next spring would be a great time to do it.

Joann

Yes Joann you would still turn your quilt to do the outside borders. I have done Motifs as I move through a quilt in the border and freehanded the background once I was finished CQ'ing.

The CQ has been a wonderful tool and a money maker for me. If you do quilt for others you will be very pleased with all the wonderful things you can do with CQ. I find it very user friendly and yes there are some things I would like to see it do but it just keeps getting better with each Free upgrade.

I love to CQ and freehand and do both in most of my quilts.

Thanks Grammie;

Oh well I guess I was hoping for a miracle, ;)

I still think it will be a great tool to add to my business though, in the fall & spring I get really busy with the snow birds that come to town and they all want their quilts done in a hurry and instead of 3-5 quilts in a week I think I would be able to 6-8 easily with the CQ. Also I dread doing custom because it's so labor intensive, so this will be a solution to that too.

Joann

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could have seen Joann's replies to those two questions, as I have them too.

I'm considering if/when I would put a computer module on my longarm, as I bought it with that intention (but couldn't afford $30,000+ in one chunk.

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon, Sue sent me an U2U message about comming to see hers if I wanted to, Sue lives in Scottsdale AZ and I live in Mesa AZ which is about 45 minutes from each other. It was realy nice of her to offer but I was turned down for my financing last week.

But I am not giving up, I am turning to plan B (save the cash instead of buying more stash) and when I save enough I will upgrade my machine to a Millie and a compuquilter. I currently have a Liberty but after doing some research realize that I would really benefit more if I had a Millie when I add the compuquilter because of the larger stitching space.

Joann

Saracl,

I have EQ6. There are a number of different flowers in their embroidery library. Their embroidery library designs are for designing quilts, you can't embroider with them. You have to buy them seperately from the company that sells them. They have designs from Cactus Punch, Pfaff & Viking. There are quite a few. I have yet to use any of them.

Jackie

Archived