Cruise Mode

I too am trying to decide between an A-1 and a Millie. I have tested both, but I am leaning towards the Millie. It is very confusing! One group will tell you one thing, and another will tell you something completely different.

On another site, they love their A-1's! They comment on the batting access and how it is very convient to smooth out bumps. A dealer on that site says that the bottom thread cutter is useless, because you have to bring the bobbin thread back up to the top of the quilt anyway, or your stitches will unravel.

They are also constantly talking about the fact that most machines have two modes: a stitch regulated mode and a manual mode, but the A-1 has this third mode they call "cruise mode." Everyone raves about this mode, because they claim that stitch regulated mode causes a drag on the machine when doing smaller detail work. One A-1 owner also stated when she was testing a Millie the dealer told her that she had to turn off the stitch regulator to do detail work.

Now I am more confused than ever! Does anyone have a point of view on this?

Hi Yogi

APQS has one *mode* It is...turn it on and quilt! Nothing else to remember based on what you are doing. You can move as slow or as fast as you wish and the APQS stitch regulator will regulate your stitches.

As far as batting access....no need for that either. You can see the batting as it combines with the top and back and if you see a pleat, you simply adjust your batting.

I am one that DOES use my SR 99% of the time, I paid extra for it and by george I am going to use it. Some of the SR's on the market have a horrid machine gun sound, if I had one of those...I wouldnt use it either!

Bottom line...buy the machine that best fits YOU. YOU are the one paying for it and YOU are the one that has to use it.

Both Deloa Jones and Marilyn Badger are awesome! I got to go to a presentation of the machines in Orlando run by Deloa. She was the first one to turn me onto the Millie:D I have no doubt that the customer service will be great! I guess you just don't want to spend that much money and make a bad decision.

Hi Yogiquilter

It is such a shame that in order to promote a product some people find it necessary to downgrade another and with information that is incorrect when really most quilting machines out there do a good job at quilting and all major quilting machine companies are trying to improve their products.

So to clear up a few inaccuracies:

It is not true that stitches will unravel if you use a thread cutter. Stitches will unravel if you do not do the securing stitches before cutting the thread.

With an APQS machine, if we ever need to remove loose threads between the layers or smooth out the backing, we simply back of the front roller a little.

All these different modes, well I like to stitch in manual ocassionally, but 99% of the time I use my stitch regulator and my machine 'cruises" along at the speed I want to move the machine beautifully.

If I was looking to buy a machine I would consider my options according to:

The stitch quality using a variety of threads in stitch regulated and manual modes

Customer service at the time and what people say about after sales service.

I am a dealer for APQS machines so I may be a little biased but I can say that our stitch regulator was the first and was tested for several years before being released and it still remains the smoothest and most consistent, especially when stopping and starting and in points.

I think you should try both machines and take away quilted samples from each machine and see which you like best.

Good luck with your search, I know it can be a very confusing time when you are new.

Sue in Australia

Sue said, "I am a dealer for APQS machines so I may be a little biased but I can say that our stitch regulator was the first and was tested for several years before being released and it still remains the smoothest and most consistent, especially when stopping and starting and in points"

I found this so funny to read. I have no doubt that what Sue says is true, don't get me wrong; but that Nolting dealer at Paducah swore that they had the first stitch regulator ever made.

I can say there stitch regulator was not smooth, especially when starting and stopping.

I was in the Nolting factory when Fred Nolting was installing the first stitch regulator. I believe this was in 1998. Nolting used the aftermarket Intellistich then and still does. Nolting has never made their own stitch regulator. One of the differences is the APQS stitch regulator measures distance and position not just position. I view an aftermarket stitch regulator the same as when we put an aftermarket air conditioner on cars. They would work but factory installed is all you see now.

John

I want to get into this topic as well (never tested or touched another machine other than APQS) so I won't comment on the others performance. But I have seen what the others look like and I have to say the others look like a low budget economy type car. No sleek lines, kinda of boxy, basically bare bones. Now the APQS machines they have the sports car look to them sleek lines and curves, lightweight for speed, their name boldly written on their side. They look as if they are saying I am a good looking machine and wait until you see what I can do!, LOL

I believe that a long arm machine just like anything else you buy, whether house, car, pet, or clothing should reflect who you are (whitin your budget of course...I think we all have champaigne taste but most live on a beer budget these days).

But with all of this said I am very happy with my APQS machine and will never go to another brand. I am comfortable with APQS, the machine, the service and the people. Find what you are most comfortable with and you too will find the machine that will best fit you.

Good luck in your decision.

Joann

The appearance of the machines is important to me as well. The A-1 seems very tiny and just didn't look as sturdy to me (It kind of looks like a stretched domestic machine.) as the Millie did, but then others say that the smaller size makes it easier to manuever. However, I read some other posts on here that say that it's all in the wheel adjustments as far as the smoothness of the machine:)

I bought my Millie from DeLoa Jones and she was GREAT. My decision to choose APQS was the customer service, and more of your award winning quilters use APQS, that has to say something there. I personally love the fact that it has a leveler bar, advance your quilt and go. That cuts down a lot on how much time you have into a quilt. I also asked about down time with other brands and heard all kinds of things, with APQS owners they asked if I mean to change a needle. SOLD! Have had Ms Lizzie since Aug and wouldn't be without her, she's family.

From my personal experience, I can say that both machines are very well made. I had no mechanical problems with my A1s in the three years I owned them.

That being said, there are several reasons why I made the decision to change to APQS machines - By the way, I was not an APQS dealer until months after I purchased my first Millie. My main income was quilting for customers and I needed to have the best longarm for my personal quilting business. Here's a brief summary of why I made the switch to APQS:

1.) The APQS Millie has the absolute most precise stitch regulator on the market. Like Sherry, I also use my stitch regulator 99% of the time.

2.) The axle/wheels are independently adjustable for the best posible movement/glide for each unique person, which allowed me greater control for intricate quilting.

3.) The ergonomic design of the Millie is MUCH more body-friendly compared to any other brand (I was formally trained in ergonomics- this was part of my previous job responsibilities).

4.) The mechanical design of the APQS machine is also far superior- Please read through "Why Choose APQS" http://www.apqs.com/advantages.htm for detailed breakdowns of the APQS advantages.

If anyone would like a direct comparision between the features of the A1 and the APQS machines, please feel free to email or call me.:)

Yogi,

Did you take that dealers advice and to try slow work on both machines?? Maybe they were telling you which differences were there to give you ideas of how to differentiate between the two machines. I think there is a fine line sometimes between comparing and sounding like you are putting down-- it is a hard one. (and obviously as Sue's post shows in talking about the "first SR", inaccuracies exist from all companies at times, and not always meant to be that way). I was told at a recent show I tested them at to shut off the SR to do the slow pebbling I was trying to do-- I do this work with the cruise mode on. I use my SR 100% of the time (mostly in cruise mode), and it has a basting mode also. Your best bet for cruise info is to talk to A-1 owners and dealers-- most users (being APQS owners) on this list do not have experience with it.

I've never heard anything about threads unraveling because of the thread cutter, and would love to find the source for that to correct it -- I do not want misinformation out there. I found a link on the A-1 forum similar to what you are saying, but can't find that thread unraveling bit. Is this the post? http://www.longarmchat.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=17489&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=apqs&&start=0

Please let me know where you saw this-- I don't want false info out there. While I don't believe the threads unravel (you do locking stitches), many Millie owners don't use theirs-- they bring the threads up and cut to avoid having tails quilted in. Maybe you can do a poll and find out what others do?? Here is a link that talks about it. http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=6041

Just a couple comments on Tina's post. The A-1 wheels are totally independently adjustable as well. Since she has changed machines, the A-1 has added totally adjustable handles-- not just up and down like the APQS, but independently adjustable at any angle or spread. They also have a remote control hydraulic lift control-- you can sit and lift the table to the perfect height without guessing from the end of the table how high or low to go. It is incredibly ergonomic. Consider the sources given for the superiority of engineering and SR's, and make your own decisions. Different engineers and different customers will give you different opinions.

Gather data, test them all, and make your own decision, then don't look back and have a ball being part of the LA family!

Happy quilting!

Brenda Janovy

A-1 owner, then dealer

www.a1dealers.net

I have enjoyed reading this topic. You can see we all love our APQS machines for a lot of the same reasons. In the end you have to choose what suite you best.

I will add I use my stitch regulator 99% of the time. I quilted for 4 years without one and now I have one that is awesome and I use it. However, I will also say when I am doing tiny detailed work like stitching around applique or micro stippling I do turn it off. The APQS stitch regulator is very precise and reads our movement in every direction at all the times. So for me when I am working in an area and want tiny dense fill I turn my SR off. If you think about it when you see all the micro stippling you can understand that one just does not have room to put 11 stitches per inch. So I get a beautiful smooth appearance when I work in manual. But when doing a bit larger stitching I for sure turn it back on.

I also use my bobbin thread cutter when I do not bury my threads, works great:)

Myrna

Archived