Thread Color Changes

For me, it depends on if I have to leave very large areas without quilting. If I don't want to leave them then I switch colors...mind you it does add time or I use straight pins to pin baste and continue the thread on the machine. I just have a smoother backing if I quilt or pin baste as I go.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I hade a quilt, quilted with three colors. I did the first at the largest possible range, then the second, and the third after that, before changing to another part. I have calculated it before, to end the first part with the third color, and starting the second part with the same color.

Then in the second part I quilted after that with the second color, than the first, rolled the quilt forward, and started in the third part with the first color. I knew I had to change colors often, but this way it seemed less...

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

I start with the most used color and so on. Also I am a big pinner. Not sure if everyone is but I throughly pin baste to keep everything in place as I move around a top when this is the case. I get less shifting and creases when rolling up unquilted areas. If I have just alot of thread changes I make sure it is basted really well so I can play and move around alot.

So far no problems with this method. I'm sure there is more than one way.

Archived