How to do a quilting class at a resort?

I am a snowbird and are very blessed to spend cold winters in sunny Florida.  I’ve been asked to teach a quilting class next season.  Just wondering if anyone has done this and would share with me ideas on how to do this.  I obviously quilt, so I have the knowledge but wondering about charges, materials, kits, length of classes etc.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!  

Good for you! I do a good bit of teaching quilting classes and have a few thoughts. I assume from the subject of your post that you will teach at a resort, rather than at a quilt store. I also assume that the resort management (or you, yourself) are aware that there are people at the resort who are quilters or who sew. I sure would not want to see you go to the expense and effort of developing a class just to have no one sign up, or have folks interested but do not have a machine to sew with. You may want to explore with the resort about advertising the class to draw outsiders into the resort to go to the class. Are there quilt stores in your area? Google them and check out what they charge for their classes. That might give you an idea of what the market will bear in that area.

I suggest a class no longer than 3 or 4 hours, something easy, and that can be finished or nearly finished within that time. Make a finished product well ahead of time so a picture can be posted with the invitation. Since this is a resort and not a quilt store, it may be good to offer a kit at extra cost. I usually have a prep-sheet with yardage and pre-workshop cutting instructions, and a handout of some sort at the workshop. If you use a copyrighted pattern - you cannot just give the participants a copy of yours, they must own a copy of their own.

Three, very important things about quilting workshops. People like to have fun at a workshop - laughter is a good thing - keep it lighthearted. YOU are supposed to have fun, too! So no stressing over how you "perform" or whether you do everything "right". Just be a happy quilter who loves to share what she/he knows. AND, don't sell yourself short. Whether you have ever done a workshop before or not - you DO know what you are talking about. So, charge the going rate in the area - don't sell yourself short!

If you would like to have a discussion about this privately - just message me with your email address.

Blessings!

Congrats, you will do a great job.  Wish I was a snowbird, Michiagan was cold, cold and still cold this season.    Sharon is a great quilter to listen to, she does beautiful work!!!  Her suggestions are spot on.   I've done most of my  teaching at quilt shops.

HI,

Lots to think about...what about machines?  will people at a resort have access to one?  how about cutting tools, thread, mats, irons?  are they thinking of more like a demo?  maybe hand quilting...supplies would be easier to provide or have on hand....are these people actually quilters and sewers already...be good to have an idea of just who the resort is advertising too and the experience of the audience expected....I taught a bunch of beginners....and yeah....I would keep it very simple if the participants do not have much experience...even just a simply table topper made of squares...lots for beginners to learn...how to prepare fabric...how to use a rotary cutter and cutting mat....how to get 1/4 inch seams, how to press,  how to sandwich the topper and quilt it....binding...oh my...that is several hours for total beginners....Lin

I've been working with my local guild for several years as we do beginner classes each winter. The class has evolved from 4 hours for eight weeks to all day classes for 4 weeks. We found that concentrating the time made it easier for the students to attend: less dragging in equipment, getting enough time to finish their block, and fewer days to contend with conflicting schedules. We used to touch on applique, English paper piecing, besides learning to do an accurate 1/4 inch while piecing. Our most recent round concentrated on turning on the creative juices with simple blocks done many ways. We did log cabin blocks to learn the 1/4 inch, drunkards path for curved piecing, half-square triangles to emphasis pressing and spreading the bulk out, and flying geese to save the points. Our final class was quilting on the domestic machine and binding. We made strip quilt placemats, quilting as they go.  We always have a large interest in the class and encourage seasoned members to come and mentor the students. Great way to get the newbies introduced to the group and give them self confidence as they learn. 

Archived