Differences Between Statler Stitcher & CQ Please?

judie01

I am trying to do "all do diligence" before I make a purchase decision:

Can anybody tell me what the primary differences are between the CQ and the Statler? (I'm pretty sure there

are some, I just can't readily pick them out from the printed material).

I want to make the right decision the first time; I don't want to do trial & error. From what I read on the Statler -- it is susposed to fit an APQS w/o a problem.

I have pretty well decided to go w/ an APQS -- now I just

need to be sure as I can about any add ons. Since I am coming into this at my age, I certainly want to shorten my

learning curve.

Any advice/input will be much appreciated!

Thank you. Thank you.

Originally posted by mrsbishwit

I always thought that the statler was for only gammil machines where as the compuquilter was able to go on any of the machines. I might be wrong though, where did you read that the statler could be put on the APQS machines? Just curious :)

Joann

I was looking on several quilt shop websites -- and I certainly could have interpreted what I read incorrectly -- it just struck me as really strange.

But I am still trying to find out the differences between the two.

Thank you. Blessings. Judie

Judie,

The following is something I copied from the Statler website....I do believe that Joann is correct that the Statler Stitcher is only available on the Gammill machines. However, I too could be wrong.

"The "Statler Stitcher?" software and hardware packages includes the computer, cables, servo-motors, and computer circuit boards attached to a hand-guided Gammill sewing head, which is guided by the computer instead of by hand."

There isn't anything on their site that I have seen where it can be added to an APQS system. Hope this helps.

The Statler Stitcher is owned by Gammill but can be put on an APQS machine for about $19,995.....I just had a customer with an APQS machine contact me with this question so I called Gammill and asked them about it. I do not know about the CQ so don't know what the differences are......

Janette

Judging by the price you were quoted, there is a $5000 price difference. The CQ, installed on your machine IN your own home is $14,000. This includes the installation, good training and all future software upgrades. If you want an APQS machine, I think it's wise to go with the robotics system that APQS sells and supports.

APQS did at least 2 years of research into robotic systems before choosing CompuQuilter for their machines. They insisted on a system that would not in any way interfere with the fabulous APQS stitch regulator. Consider this. If you put the Statler (owned by Gammil) on an APQS machine, who do you call when something goes wrong? How much of the wiring in the APQS machine is replaced by or interferes with the APQS wiring? I don't know the answer to that, but I think it would be well worth your while to check it out. You don't want to come up against a "challenge" and have Gammil say "That's an APQS problem" and APQS saying, "I'm sorry, but that's a Statler problem." Where do you go from there?! APQS has an excellent warranty and incredible after the sale service, but how far does that warranty extend if you're adding a non-endorsed robotics system to your machine?

One of the unique things about the CQ is that we can design and quilt "True" Corners. This means a corner that starts on one side, turns the corner and ends on the other side, forming a 90 degree corner. It is my understanding that the Statler can't do that. Someone please correct me if that has changed recently.

I hope that helps a bit. I know it's like trying to find your way through a maze! If you have other questions, please feel free to ask.

Originally posted by Darlene Epp

Judging by the price you were quoted, there is a $5000 price difference. The CQ, installed on your machine IN your own home is $14,000. This includes the installation, good training and all future software upgrades. If you want an APQS machine, I think it's wise to go with the robotics system that APQS sells and supports.

APQS did at least 2 years of research into robotic systems before choosing CompuQuilter for their machines. They insisted on a system that would not in any way interfere with the fabulous APQS stitch regulator. Consider this. If you put the Statler (owned by Gammil) on an APQS machine, who do you call when something goes wrong? How much of the wiring in the APQS machine is replaced by or interferes with the APQS wiring? I don't know the answer to that, but I think it would be well worth your while to check it out. You don't want to come up against a "challenge" and have Gammil say "That's an APQS problem" and APQS saying, "I'm sorry, but that's a Statler problem." Where do you go from there?! APQS has an excellent warranty and incredible after the sale service, but how far does that warranty extend if you're adding a non-endorsed robotics system to your machine?

One of the unique things about the CQ is that we can design and quilt "True" Corners. This means a corner that starts on one side, turns the corner and ends on the other side, forming a 90 degree corner. It is my understanding that the Statler can't do that. Someone please correct me if that has changed recently.

I hope that helps a bit. I know it's like trying to find your way through a maze! If you have other questions, please feel free to ask.

Your advice is excellent and well worth listening to!

HOWEVER: I MUST NOT HAVE BEEN CLEAR IN MY ORIGINAL POSTING! I WANT TO KNOW WHICH IS BETTER EQUIPMENT:

THE STATLER OR THE CQ? AND WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES?

People generally talk about their experiences or someone elses'-- good or bad . I would like to hear of these from people who have dealt with either. A sales rep from either is going to be "walking the party line" so to speak.

I would never put a statler on an APQS-- that would just be

stupid --no matter what mfg says! Besides which: that's just asking for trouble.

I am coming to adore this bulletin board; I am learning so much. As good as any book, lecture or sales person-- maybe better! You ladies are so smart and talented. There is no

sense of comradarie like I see here --with Gammil -- and I think it's great. Keeps me checking back every day to see what else I can learn.

Thank you. Judie

Hi Judie

I posted a little on another thread earlier today under Intelliquilter but some of that information answers your question - I think.

I too love our APQS forum and I love CQ's own "Open" Forum which the other computer quilting companies do not offer. No system goes without its problems at some stage but I think its important to be able to see how a company deals with customer issues before you buy. CQ customers have a very "open" forum where customers can post and CQ owners, employees and other more experienced customers can jump in and help each other out 24 hrs a day whether it be with technical issues, suggestions for a quilting design or anything else.

The unique features I love about CQ are the :

You can choose a pieced area on a quilt top and with the mouse click its edges - especially useful with wonky piecing - you can click any number of points so are not limited to squares triangles etc . Once you are finished clicking its edges you will see the actual pieced shape on the screen - wobbly piecing and all and then you can see the design you want to quilt overlaid on that space and you can resize it, rotate it, stretch it to fit the pieced shape - all visual - no maths. This works for any shape at all - even curved shapes.

Darlened discussed the corner feature which is awesome.

We also have an array set up where you can automatically set the CQ to quilt a motif in a linear, circular or wreath array. Purchase one motif for say $5 and have it stitch automatically in any of the array styles. What about if you want to place a heart motif across a border with space in between for another motif - its easy and you can see it on the screen before you start stitching - no maths - no guesswork.

I love that upgrades to software are very frequent and totally free of charge, the manual is extensive and continually being upgraded and we have a new digitising manual and new conversion programme which takes away a lot of the hard work in placing patterns.

Anyone can join CQ's chat forum by signing up at yahoogroups.com - I am sure you would learn heaps more about what CQ can do there. its called Compuquilter_Users.

Sue in Australia

Archived