Marking tools for FMQ designs

I am in need of a reliable marking tool for light/neutral back ground fabrics that can be permanently removed. I have tried Frxion (what a mess), blue and purple so called “washable” markers (they are not washable) and the Dritz colored yellow chalk (beware, this chalk DOES NOT come out). The white chalk will dust away but you cannot use white on a neutral fabric!?! I have seen numerous posts elsewhere online about how disappointing these marking tools are. But no solutions. 

With the advent of ruler use and marking design layouts, what are quilters using?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

You can use the water or air soluble markers.   The water soluble usually have blue ink and the air soluble usually has purple.   DO NOT IRON over these soluble  marks or they become permanent.  If you live in a high humidity area the air markers may disappear to fast for you.   Have you tried using the white chalk and turn on your black light?  Sometimes we forget most APQS machines come with black light.  I use the gray chalk marker on most items I have to mark.  Stay away from the yellow, pink and blue chalks, they do not wash out.   I also use the Crayola washable markers (like you buy for kids)  but test that the color I use will wash out (put it on test scrap fabric and rub out with a paper towel or wash cloth).  The Crayola markers are a lot cheaper than sewing markers but as I stated test before you use on the quilt.   Hope this helps.