What accessories are must haves for Ultimate 2?

Catsally

Hello! My husband and I just found the deal of a lifetime, a ultimate 2 with the original 12ft wooden table for $400!! 

the machine has not been ran in a while so aside from a good oiling, what are some things I should be looking for? What are some things I should buy to make the process of learning the machine as pleasant as possible? And finally what are some things I should get just because they’re a great addition? 

also, I don’t have a manual, does anyone know where I could find one? And also, any pro tips for a beginner?? My husband is super excited because it’s an analog machine but I’m quite nervous I’ll break it. 

also, does anyone know of an aftermarket frame I could look into for the machine? The 12ft frame is absolutely massive and I’d prefer something smaller and... sleeker looking if at all possible. 

thank you!!!

You need to contact APQS about a possible table that this machine can run on.  Also ask about a manual

One thing I would look at is the needle bar (the bar coming down from the machine that holds the needle)..there shouldn't be any movement at all.  Sometimes these older machines can have a bar that has become loose just a bit and this will cause tension and stitch issues.  If the machine hasn't run for a while, a good cleaning is needed. I would take all plates off and really clean things out well.  Look at the bobbin casing, it will come out and probably everything there needs cleaned and oiled.  You will need to learn how to 'time' your machine, as I am sure the timing is off since it has been sitting for a while.  Timing instructions are in the manual but I also think APQS can help you with this.  Make sure the table is balanced well.  You may also need to look at the belts to the motor to make sure there is no wear on them and they are tight.

You will not break this machine. It is an absolute work horse!  Once you get it set up, cleaned, oiled and familiarized yourself with the machine... you will be very happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Cat:  You need to get the machine up and running before you begin to accumulate stuff to go with it.  The type of quilting you do will dictate some of the accessories you'll want.  After you use it a while, check back with details on your specific needs.  Enjoy.  Jim  BTW. like Laura, I also have a ult 2.  She's right, you can't break these machines.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just bought an Ultimate II from facebook.  I have it set up and ordered the ruler foot from Shirley.  It runs rough and I hit a HST seam and broke the needle.  I have a new needle and can run maybe a minute and the thread is shredding  at the needle.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi Loretta and welcome to the forum

The most common places to check for thread shredding are the two pigtail guides above the needle.  With a magnifying glass look at the inside of the guide were the thread touches.  If you see a groove worn into the guide loosen the screw and turn the guide upside down and tighten the screw.  This works until you get replacements.  Also you can pinch the thread above and below the guide and drag the thread around the inside of the guide and if it catches you have a groove worn in it.

Also Jim and Laura above have both been around for a while and you can take their advice to the bank.

Nigel