new machine - needle breaking

annie-melrose

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone can help me. I am an absolute newbie and I had the elation of my new millie arriving on Tuesday, I've done the setup, read the manual and watched the DVD, - BUT - when I got as far as sewing the exercises without top thread or bobbin thread (bobbin case out too) the needle broke, had only been using the machine for 10 minutes or so on and off. Have searched the site and sent off messages (I think I must have posted them in the wrong forum because no responses overnight) now I have missed the time difference to catch the APQ office, so would love it if someone has any advice. I think it is the number 8 screw that needs adjusting because the machine did 4 or 5 extra stitches after I had pushed the button to stop. I have found info on the extra few stitches after pusing the stop button, but can't find anything on the needle breaking. I can't see what might be making the needle break. Would just appreciate any advice before I start adjusting things and possibly making it worse. My Australian agent is away at a show at the moment.

All the best

Judy in West Australia.

Judy....there can be many reasons why your needle is breaking.

Perhaps you can get in touch with your rep soon, but off hand I would suggest you follow the manual in making sure you've installed your needle correctly.

A word of advice I would give you as a "newbie" is to move your machine as smooth as you possibly can. Do not take off fast or make jerky movements, move your machine smooth.

Hi Judy--

If you are running the machine without thread and without the bobbin case inserted, you must be hitting something hard--either the needle plate or something in the bobbin assembly. Please wait until you can get some help.

If you want to adjust the needle-up-down with the #8 adjustment, warm up the machine without the needle in (15 minutes is recommended) and adjust. But leave the needle out until you figure some things out. Shipping so far could has messed up your timing and you don't want to worsen things by scratching things up.

Congratulations on your new adventure and hope you are up and running soon!

Linda Rech

Hello Judy,

Sorry to hear you are having problems :(

Try to remain calm untill Sue is available. She is great and will get you sorted out. Do go through your manual and check that you are putting the needle in the right way, very slowly turn the hand wheel while watching the needle to see where the problem is. Use the manual so that you can identify the parts and then tell Sue what's happening.

I feel for you, it will all be better soon, chin up

Cheers Satu

(in Melbourne)

Maybe your needle screw came loose and the needle hit the plate. Remove needle and replace with Singer mr 4.0 only. I use a flat sided needle nose plier to hold the needle in place, make sure it's pushed all the way up and then tighten screw. Make sure the indent scarf of the needle is facing towards the back. Make sure your bobbin when it's in the case rotates clockwise when you pull the thread.

I would load muslin, use the bobbin, make sure the machine is threaded properly and do it again.

I bet things will be just fine.

Newbie jitters.

JoAnn

605-574-4885

I'm a real newbie too, and I had this same problem. Couldn't figure it out UNTIL I looked at some pictures and noticed that I had the quilt loaded OVER the black take up roller rather than UNDER it.

Having it over the roller was creating a lot of pull on the quilt and actually bending the needle away from the stitch plate hole, so it was hitting the metal rather than going into the hole.

I am definitely learning from my mistakes, and I've made many, so I'm learning a lot.

Archived