burying threads

Mary Beth

I know you all discussed this just recently, but I need to know how to start or end a row of stitiching without backstitiching. I mostly work on pantos and my backstitching is in the very edge, but I am getting ready to work on 2 different custom jobs and need to know how to hide my starts and stops.

If you don't want to go over this topic again, just point me in the right direction :)

Thank you,

Mary Beth

Hi Mary Beth--

Start by pulling up the bobbin thread and leave a 4" tail with both threads.

To keep them out of my way and for ease of finding later, put a pin 2 inches or so away from your start point and out of your quilting path. Wrap the two threads around the pin a couple of times to secure.

Quilt away! Stop, push away 6 inches or so , grasp the top thread, needle down in the same spot, needle up, and pop the bobbin thread up top. Pull up as much bobbin thread as you need and clip .

You can again pin and wrap the thread. Then you can bury all threads before advancing or you can bury as you go. Whatever works best for you. I use the self-threading needles and do a knot about 1/4" from the end. Insert the needle right next to the last stitch and in the direction of stitching. Run the thread through the batting if you can and bring up a couple of inches away. Pull all the thread out and give a tug as you clip to make sure the thread pops back under the top fabric.

It takes way longer to explain than to do!! (As I am writing these hints, I am pushing imaginary buttons on my invisible handles because it is done without thinking!! Hope this is correct!!)

Good luck and post pics of your custom jobs!

Linda Rech

I'm really glad this topic popped up because just today I was wanting to know this exact thing! Over the past few days (in the evenings) I've been working on a small wallhanging wholecloth quilt and it has the crosshatching in the background which requires a lot of stops and starts. I want to learn how to do it right (burying the threads) and on my lunch break today I bought a pack of those easy self-threading needles at the local Jo-Ann store. So, now I'm ready to practice burying those threads.

Thanks for the terrific detailed explanation, Linda! :) Great idea to use pins to wrap the loose threads so you can go back later. Dang! I just love all these helpful shortcuts!

PS: Linda, I remember you asked me in an earlier post how I was doing with the quilting machine... Well, Now that my foot is healing better (like since the past few weeks), I seem to be able to stand for longer lengths of time and that means, I can really spend more quality time playing with Madeline (which I haven't done too much of because I couldn't stand for long without getting pain and swelling). Anyway, let's just say that Shana and Madeline are bonding quite nicely. I am having fun!!! :)

Glad to hear you are on the upswing Shana. It is no fun being in pain when it disrupts your whole life.

About this burying the thread thing....

If I am just bringing the thread up, then kind of weaving/guiding it between the quilt layers...will it come undone eventually? It just doesn't sound like it is anchored. Or by sewing the threads through the batting - is that the anchoring process and that keeps it from coming undone? It sounds easy enough, I'm going to give it a try....just wondering if you have had it come out.

Thanks for the help!!

Shana and Phyllis--

If you are frogging back to a seam or point , a good way to proceed is not to use scissors or a ripper. If the thread needs to be buried, the best way is to "un-stitch"--thats is, use a straight pin or the non-sharp side of the ripper to pull out the top stitches one at a time. Pull up the bobbin thread as you reach a good spot to stop, knot and bury. Some smart, handy person needs to invent a sturdy, short self-threading needle to help so we won't need such long tails to bury. Hmmmm. I'll get back to you!

Shana --glad to hear you are mending. It is hard to stay away from the machine when you are itching to play! If you are stitching the wholecloth with matching and/or thin thread (BL?) be fearless like our Great Leader Sherry R-H and backtrack or "sneak" around with the crosshatching and you won't need to bury so many threads. She's a genius and such a role model for us all! Post photos when you are finished, please.

Linda R

I knot and bury all my thread tails, and I anchor them with a pin just like others do, but I don't use a self threading needle. I have a needle about 4" long with a nice big eye and hold the threads around the needle then slide them off the end making a fold in the thread. This is then much easier to thread through the eye than the thread ends. Sounds very complicated but is very easy and quick. :)

Linda said:

".... Pull up the bobbin thread as you reach a good spot to stop, knot and bury. Some smart, handy person needs to invent a sturdy, short self-threading needle to help so we won't need such long tails to bury."

If I only have a short length of thread, I insert the needle in the path I'm going to take, getting the eye close to the short threads, then thread it, then pull the needle out.

I have found a big difference in quality of the self-threading needles. Some are really hard to "pop in" the thread. I take some dental floss and repeatedly pop in and out until I have made the "channel" bigger. Sometimes I just have to throw away the needle, as it shreads the thread as I'm trying to slide it in place.

Teri

I pretty much treat the "bury" challenge like Phyllis and Teri except when doing circle Lord patterns and I have not yet figured out a good way to do it with those circles. I put a magnetic strip on the top of Millie and keep a short needle with a large eye and one of those little metal needle threaders stuck to a piece of blue masking tape close by it for those times when I have to insert the needle into the quilt before threading it. I usually bury as I go.

Archived