Anyone ever quilt an actual flag?

A potential customer asked if I could quilt a 4x6' flag for her son.  He'd like to make a throw out of it, using flannel as the backing.  I don't know the first thing about this, nor do my quilter friends, so I'm starting here for advice.  What kind of needle? What kind of thread? Can it be done? Etc.?

Thanks!

Phyllis,

I would suggest to your friend and her son that they not desecrate the flag of the United States of America in this manner.  

As the potential quilter, I would abstain from taking part in any portion of this project.

As an individual who has signed their name on one of the blank checks that has contributed to giving you, your friend, and her son the right to even consider this disrespectful treatment of the flag of the United States of America, I would never use or recommend any quilting business that took part in this despicable treatment of the flag.

I believe your request of information is so contrary to spirit and intent of the hundred of thousands of "Quilts of Valor" that have been lovingly made and presented to our veterans of the United States Armed Forces.  

If your friend wants to make a "throw" for her son, she should make a quilt that honors and respects the symbol of our great country of the United States of America.  Her son can soil her quilt by lovingly using it as the body covering it is intended.  

The young man can proudly and properly displaying the flag of the Unites States of America on his wall, and remember all the outstanding men and women who have served our great nation.  Family and friends will not be appalled upon seeing the flag of the United States of America being used as the suggested "throw" covering.

You may not like my blunt answer, but I for one feels it needs to be said.  To do otherwise, is to consent to disrespecting the flag of the Unites States of America in this manner, and dishonoring all those who made the ultimate sacrifice to make and keep us free citizens of the United States of America.

Besides this one, I wish you all the best in your quilting endeavors.

Cagey

"The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/8

Phyllis, I am very glad this is not a US flag!  Whether or not it can be done, and your needle and thread choices, will be dictated, at least in part, by the construction of the flag.  Are you planning to use batting or just the flannel backing? Even if the flag has extremely thick seams, or heavy embroidery/embellishment, I would think you could quilt around the tricky areas.  

Do you have a picture of the flag you could share?  That might help to generate some ideas for you.

Phyllis,

It is great to hear that the flag in question is not the flag of the United States of America.

As it is a school flag, you might try to stitch around the center items in the flag, so they pop out.  In the main area, you might quilt a meandering water type of pattern to help give the flag movement as if it were moving in the wind.

Best of luck with your project.

Cagey