*NEW* Mid-Arm Quilting Machine Magazine!! CHECK IT OUT!

The publisher of my favorite quilting magazine (Unlimited Possibilities) is starting a new one for Mid-Arm quilters! This will be great for those who have purchased or are considering to purchase our Lenni. Here is the press release:

Meander Publishing LLC Announces New Magazine, Machine Quilting Unlimited

Fort Lupton, Colorado?June 4, 2007. Meander Publishing LLC, publishers of UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES MAGAZINE for stand-up machine quilters, announced today that they will launch a sister publication, MACHINE QUILTING UNLIMITED in late 2007. With Unlimited Possibilities Magazine targeting the professional longarm quilting market, Machine Quilting Unlimited will focus on the home quilting enthusiast using a domestic sewing machine or small frame system. Meander President Vicki Anderson states, ?Quilting publications are typically concerned with helping the consumer create a quilt top, and many times finish their instructions with the phrase ?quilt as desired.? We intend to start at that point and show the quilter exactly how to finish the quilting process. With the advent of many new domestic sewing machine models specifically targeting quilters, we feel this is an ideal time to enter the market with this new magazine.?

Gearing up for the launch, Meander has added staff to assist with the new publication. Carolyn Wood has accepted the Advertising Manager position, Jonathan Miller, JLM Graphics, will continue his role as Creative and Graphic Designer for all Meander Publishing titles, and Corrine Hammett joined the team as Editorial Assistant. Emily Vanek, currently the Circulation Manager and Webmaster for Unlimited Possibilities Magazine, will expand her role to include both magazines. Anderson will assume the title of Executive Editor/Publisher with both Unlimited Possibilities Magazine and Machine Quilting Unlimited.

Inquiries and advertising information requests regarding the new magazine can be emailed to mqu@upquiltmag.com. Visit the website, www.upquiltmag.com

About Meander Publishing LLC: Formed in January 2006, Meander Publishing LLC is dedicated to the art of machine quilting. Its flagship publication, Unlimited Possibilities Magazine, was acquired from founder Marcia Stevens, Little Pine Studios, in March 2006. Vicki and Richard Anderson, President and Vice President, respectively, are committed to the betterment of machine quilting through the sharing of ideas between quilters and industry leaders.

http://www.upquiltmag.com/

As I read this, I thought it was for DSM quilters, not mid arm quilters. There is a BIG difference between the two...

I have what is considered to be a short arm, but in every other respects is the same as your long arm (except it isn't an APQS). I can only do 6" pantos instead of the BIG BOY pantos. I still have a machine that rides on the frame, not a stationery machine that requires me to move the quilt. Some people consider their DSM to be a 'short arm' quilt machine, but the set up is much different.

Just wondering which it really is...

The definition of a short arm machine can either be a DSM on a quilting frame set up or a machine that can stitch up to 6" in quilting space before advancing.

The definition of a mid arm machine is a L.A. style machine and set up but has a stitching capacity of 12-13". Lenni, Liberty, and the HQ16 among others would fall into this area. In my opinon theese machines are just as versitle as the actual L.A. machines because just about any pattern can be re-sized down to fit these machines, down fall you need to advance the quilt more than the larger machine.

The definition of a long arm machine is any L.A. style machine that has the capacity that can stitch 14" or more. The larger Gammils, Millie, Freedoms among others would fall into this area.

George doesn't fall into the above catogories because it is not mounted on a frame where you push the machine around to quilt. It is geared toward those who prefer the method of quilting in which you move the fabric (like the free motion techniques used with the DSM) but provides a larger throat space for convience of the quilter.

Thanks Cheryl for the heads up, I am sure that even the larger machine owners will be interrested in this new mag as well since most techniques can always be adapted to the other machines.

Joann

Hi all,

Maybe I can clear things up. MQU is a magazine for the home enthusiast machine quilter. Whether using a DSM, small frame system (grace, HQ with a DSM on it) or a mid-arm (Lennie, George, HQ16, Voyager, etc.) there will be something for everyone. Our articles and featured artists will cross all segments of machine quilting. UPM has been, and will continue to be, focused on the professional longarm quilter. So, it has more business oriented articles, lots of award winning quilts (and quilting) and technical help geared for longarms, as well as showcasing the teachers and artists in the longarm community.

So yes, there is a difference between DSM (sit-down) quilting, and midarm (stand-up) quilting, but we will try to balance the information. For example, in the Premier issue Diane Gaudynski is featured, which naturally is focused on DSM quilting, but Cathy Franks will also talk about Thread Painting on a stand-up machine. And other writers are coming on board as well, from both worlds. There's room for all types of machine quilting! Ricky Tims has agreed to an interview, and he uses a George as well as his Bernina.....

Feel free to let us know what you think. On Tuesday, July 10 our new website will be "live" with more information. We are also going to be sending a newsletter monthly while folks are waiting for the first issue.

Vicki Anderson

Publisher, UPM and MQU

I think this is a great idea, Vicki. You are filling a niche that needed filling and I am sure it will be very successful (lots of short and midarm folks out there wanting this!) Your premier issue has Diane Gaudynski as your featured guest. Well, you couldn't have found a better feature than Diane. I am a HUGE fan of Diane G. She has been such an inspiration for me (and she's so nice too ...I got to meet & chat with her at the Houston show!) Best wishes to you, Vicki!

---Shana

Thank you Vicki for the information. I just ordered a subscription to the Unlimited Possibilities Magazine and now I am wondering if I should have gotten the new magazine instead. I have a Nolting Fun Quilter (mid-arm). Did I make a mistake? What do you think?

Gable

No, Gable, you didn't make a mistake...but then I'm biased! VBG. Actually, I think that those with mid-arm machines will benefit from both magazines. Again, it depends on what you are doing...running a business or using the machine just for your own quilts. It's really hard to say that any one magazine is "right or wrong." I think you will get different information in each of them.

Another consideration...MQU won't premier until December (shipping late November) so at least you will have UPM to fill the gap! In the meantime, you can sign up for the newsletter to get a feel for what we are doing. (Newsletter and the new www.mqumag.com website will debut on July 10.)

Archived