Karen McTavish

Myrna Ficken

This is on Karen's website: www.designerquilts.com

Karen's New Tat's

I mentioned using my designs for tattoos in The Secrets of Elemental Quilting and now I've gone ahead and done it.

These feathers are my own designs. My right arm is still being worked on.

Karen McTavish

McTavish Quilting Studio

Private Classes and Workshops, APQS Dealer

728 N 18th Ave East

Duluth, MN 55812

PH#: (218) 391-8218

Fax: (218) 525-0017

APQS showroom in Duluth MN

www.designerquilts.com

kmctavish@designerquilts.com

Karens Tat.bmp

Well, I know that some people wear their heart on their sleeve (me included). And, it looks like Karen is permanently wearing her heart on her sleeve now, too. ;) (but don't do any trapunto, please...lol!) :P just kidding...

Cool! Is she going to be on Miami Ink? They should feature her! :) Very original; very unique, very fun, very pretty...(just like Karen).

Its been fun to go thru this process of getting your quilting pattens tattooed on your arms....It kick started a little creative thing in my quilting. After I got one arm completely finished, the next quilt I started went completely insanely creative and artistic -out of the blue -and nothing changed in my life but the tattoos. Werid huh?

HEY Karen, Good to see you here on the post. I can't believe you are in Utah and still so far away, that stinks. I would love to see you. But yes Karen is coming to teacher here at my place in December. It will be a over the top I'm sure :P Can't wait. we will post dates.

Myrna

The tattoo was outlined first on each arm - that took 3 hours each....they claim the outlines are the worst part of the entire tattoo process.....(looked like a outline of a stencil drawing after its marked on fabric!) and I couldnt speak during the outline phase - actually could NOT talk - the artist would ask me questions....and I couldnt form words to answer him (trying to be a tough girl wasnt working anymore after the first hour - the outline hurt...period...there were several moments where I said "WHY AM I DOING THIS-Freaking-OUCH!").

Then the shading was done in two 3 hour sessions....pain not brutal compaired to the outline.....didnt hurt as bad at all. I could form words during the shading phase.

They call what I got being"half-sleeved" - that's tattoo talk dont cha know. A "full sleeve" is the entire arm. And if you got your entire body done- well that's a "Suit"......anyway - I digress with my new found lingo.....I heard a guy say "I am working on my suit". Kinda gross......

So to answer your question, with one arm finished, it took 9 hours.....and I have another 6 hours to go on the other arm and then I am done done done.

The first thing I thought when I saw this was "Ohhhhh...I want!". (right, at almost 53 I would look good with tats...:D ). Now I'm leaning towards "Nope!". I can hear the battle in your mind, "Maybe we could do them smaller, or maybe just one side."

You do realize that you are now obligated to teach in sleeveless tops only! Everyone is going to want to see! Or you could go take striptease classes next for those days that sleeves are required but viewer demand is high!

You are so much fun, Karen!

Hey - 53 is not too old for a tat. 3 years ago I got a butterfly on my ankle. Last year I got a ladybug sitting on a leaf on the top of my foot (really cute). My husband says he's not going to let me go to Calif. to see my kids alone anymore. With the ladybug tat, my grandaughter went with me and got stars on her foot. We both got into trouble with my daughter. My grandaughter was 20 by the way, not really young. :P

Archived