Blowing Machine out with WD-40 As Part of Everyday Maintenance

I was told in my introduction classes to my Freddie that I was to spray the bobbin area with WD-40, run the machine without a bobbin in it, and then blow the bobbin area out with compressed or canned air.  I understood that the WD-40 would pick up the lint and fuzz while the machine was running. After it runs a few seconds, I was to blow it out.  He thinks that's wrong to blow the WD-40 toward the inside of the throat.   Do I have this concept correct?

Also, once in a while the bobbin thread will get caught in the hook race.  Any idea why that would happen?

Thanks,

Kathy B.

You are correct about the use of WD-40, it will be explained in your manual.  Some brands of machines have electronic parts in that area and shouldn't have any moisture sprayed in there, the APQS machines do not and it is part of the required maintenance.

Are you using a thread net?  It is possible that the thread isn't feeding smoothly off the cone and that may be causing it to catch on the hook.  I am sure there will be more suggestions made by others with addition solutions!

Use the canned/compressed air first.  Then do the WD40 "bath".  Start the machine on a slow speed then gradually increase it and spin out the excess WD40.  Shut the machine off (important!) and then wipe out the area with a clean rag.  Never try to wipe out the area while running - that's a good way to get a rag caught in the bobbin area and throw off the timing.  Lastly, oil the machine.  

That is the order of the cleaning and oiling hook maintenance in the manual I have.  It doesn't say to use the compressed air AFTER the WD40.  The hook area is sealed which is why you can use compressed air.  However, I wouldn't use it after the WD40 as that's just spreading around something that will attract and hold dust and lint.