Wide Batiste

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

I posted this at the tail end of the thread about my blue ribbon, but I thought perhaps I should start a new thread or no one would see it there! ;)

Wide batiste : http://www.faboutlet.com/html/sheers___lining.html Yes, it is polyester, but do you really care? It's 118" wide in white or ivory. And, it's on SALE!! What more can a gal ask for?

Linda

Thank you from me too! I placed an order this morning from the site Debbi posted only because it was closer to me and she had already gotten that from them. I think the drive to the outlet woudn't be far so maybe a road trip will be in order! I'll keep you all posted on how long delivery takes.

Linda - thank you for starting this whole thing. I have been looking for wide batiste for some time and still can't figure out why I couldn't find it. I think maybe because I was searching for 120". All that ever came up was stuff less than 54" and I got tired of hunting.

Heidi

So, I've never had the priviledge of taking one of Karen's classes (on my dream list!!!!!!) but I just got her book Mastering the Art of McTavishing and love it. But, I assume that the batiste is something you use to do shadow wholecloths and regular wholecloths. Am I right? Why would you use it over something like a wide white muslin? And who can recommend a book for doing shadow wholecloths? So many questions, but I would love some to do some of this work!

Cher

Well Heidi,

If you'd take off your "goggles" and use GOOGLE you might have better search results! :P Just having some fun this morning. What a great place this chat is for having fun and sharing information.

I'm signed up for some great classes at Innovations coming up, including Karen's class on Heirloom Quilting. Last year I took all artsy-fartsy freestyle type classes so this will be good stuff for me to tackle this year. Can't wait to get there!

Have a great day, everyone. ~~ Eva H.

Just a word of warning to all of you that the 100% polyester batiste is very, very sheer (at least what I ordered from fabricplace.com). It is just like the sheer white panels you would buy at Wally world or some other place to put over your windows.

It worked for some of my projects, but for one in particular, it was TOO sheer so I went with the inexpensive muslim that is not quite as sheer. This gave me the effect that I wanted.

Debbi

Debbi,

I actually want the batiste to be very sheer sheer for my projects because of the layer under the batiste. I have used muslin for the underlayer or even a print or colored fabric which will show through the sheer batiste nicely. If the batiste isn't sheer enough I don't the fabric underneath is more dull. Of course if you have a very bright fabric you might want a heavier batiste. I guess each project is unique. I ordered enough for a 96" wholecloth and two smaller ones so I'll just have to buy more under fabric if I don't have something in my stash that I want to use :).

Heidi

Heidi

Guest Linda S

Yes, batiste is very sheer. You use it for shadow trapunto. If you want a GREAT book on how to use this and how to do trapunto in general, get Karen's book, "Secrets of Elemental Quilting." It is another that has a DVD with it and it is so good. I have bought the batiste from Old Trail Fabrics -- as a matter of fact, it's in my next show quilt! :D

Linda

Archived