freestanding bobbin winder

Hi to all, I have a Liberty and have always used prewound bobbins because I couldnt figure out my winder. Today my husband and I fiddled around with it and got it going. I have two questions. When we thread from the spool through the eye to the tension thing does it go under and then feed off the top to the bobbin? That is how we did it and I just want to know if this is correct. Also we have fiddled with the tension and I am wondering how tight or loose it should be. We have three or four threads showing on the screw down thing. Is this correct? I'd appreciate a response, I am so excited to use it!! Thanks, Janey

I should first say that I have the old style bobbin winder that came with my Liberty in March 2005. I do not have the turbo winder so my information may be totally obsolete. If you have the new turbo winder the information should be in your manual.

I have mine threaded so that the thread comes off the cone and goes up to the guide above it. I have a bobbin on that guide because the thread kept coming off of the guide. I just lay the thread over the bobbin. Then the thread goes from there to the eye that's right above the tension knob. I insert the thread from the front to the back and then it goes to the right over the top and between the tension plates(?) and comes out from the bottom of the tension plates and goes over to the bobbin which has been attached to the post. I put the holey side of the bobbin on the outside and put the thread through one of the holes and wrap it around my left hand loosely. Then I flip the clamp, or whatever it is from the left over to the bobbin and reach with my right hand to turn the bobbin winder on. I move my right hand over to where the first guide (where I added the bobbin for security) is and loosely let the thread pass through my thumb and index finger about an inch below that guide. My thread winds better if I do that. The thread wound on your left hand will tighten and break. I watch the bobbin as it winds to be sure it is winding properly. I never fill it more than 3/4s of the way full. If I do it almost always messes up. When it is 3/4s full I use my left hand to reach over and turn the bobbin winder off. This is the way that the diagram shows that came in the manual for my Liberty.

You have to adjust the tension on the bobbin winder just as you would the tension on your machine. If the bobbin looks, messy then you might need to tighten the tension knob. If the tension is too tight the thread will break while winding. The bobbin should be wound neatly and feel firm if you touch it with your little finger. It should unwind smoothly when you put it into the bobbin case and do the drop test or check it with the Towa Guide. If I get one that I don't like the way it is wound then I pop that bobbin up on the first guide thread it and rewind it onto another bobbin.

The only thing that I find confusing with the bobbin winder is that it feels like the tension knob is on the wrong side. I turn the bobbin winder around so that I can look at it as I do the knob on my machine.

I hope this is clear. If you have any questions just ask them and one of us will try to answer them.

When its

I just received my Millie machine with the bobbin winder. I wound several bobbins (using several types of thread and the net) with the same result - the bobbins are lopsided - one side has thread all the way out to the edge and the other side is about a 1/4" lower.

I have read the manual and can't see where I am doing anything wrong... Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks,

Tina

Creative Obsession Quilting Service

I have the same problem with my free standing bobbin winder. There is more thread to one side than the other (lop sided). It does not "seem " to affect my stitiching though. As far as tension on the winder, you want the thread to be tight on the bobbin (but not really tight), or in other words, I was told that the bobbin thread should not be spongy feeling after it is wound.

• 2 weeks later...

I am finding some useful info in this foru. Thanks to all. Most of the time my free standing bobbin winder does a good job but occassionally I get loops at the beginning of the winding. This is frustrating. Any suggestions on why this is happening and how to prevent it? Also, I am using some Superior threads pre wounds but have to loosen the tension on the bobbin 'a lot'! The cardboard bobbin does not seem to turn easily in the case. Anyone else have this problem?

Linda

Penticton, BC Canada

Hi Linda--

Try this for the cardboard bobbins--insert the bobbin so the thread, when pulled, spins the bobbin clockwise. Then tear the outside cardboard off. Some people tear off both sides, but my backlash spring fights with the thread that way. The inserted bobbin will stick out slightly from the case if the backlash spring has a correct bend to it. Always test for tension after this procedure--either a drop test or with a gauge. On my Towa, pre-wounds like it at about 17. Hope this helps you!

Tina,

Do you have the new turbo winder? I haven't had any problems with my winder and I can even wind bobbins for my Viking 1+ although that one I have coax the thread to fill right but I think it is because the bobbin is concave on one side.

My bobbins for my milli wind perfectly. There is a guide before the thread goes around the tension disk and then on after it goes around the disk, not sure if yours is that way, and the thread goes on the cone holder and looped up through the cone hook.

Heidi

Heidi

Archived