Spring came out of bobbin case

I was quilting along quite nicely when all of a sudden the stitching on the underside went way wonky. I pulled my bobbin out of the case and found that the spring had come undone in the case. Is this common? The spring looks kind of beat up. How do you replace it??

Anyone know how much a bobbin case costs (thinking of getting extras)...Thanks for a reply

Pat K

Hi Pat

I think a complete bobbin case is $9.95. You can get replacement springs now too.

I've never had a spring come out unless it wasn't in properl the first time. I'm not sure what you mean by beat up but there are two pieces that are raised by maybe 1/16th of an inch and the face up to touch the bobbin.

Hope that helps

Sue in Australia

Hi Pat

The backlash spring has small lugs on the out edges and they fit into slots in the bobbin case. Line up the spring with the semi circle cutout over the cutout in the bobbin case and you are pretty close. The prongs that are raised either side of centre on the backlash spring should face you so that they will contact with the bobbin.

I push my backlash spring in with a qtip or toothpick..

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

To replace the backlash spring after cleaning, I use a small screwdriver with a magnetic tip. The spring is easy to position and if it isn't in tight, the magnetic tip will pull the spring out again. That way I know it is snapped in and secure. These springs do wear out and are inexpensive to replace. I "treat" my machine to a new bobbin case yearly as these are also inexpensive. Have fun!

Archived