crosshatching

I got a new top to quilt last night from my favorite customer. She keeps me really busy. It's a Dick and Jane top and she wants it crosshatched at a 45 degree angle. OK. I can do that. But perfect? I doubt it considering I'd be moving the quilt a lot to complete each line of stitching in one continuous los.

I was thinking last night about mounting the quilt on the diagonal so I can use the stitch lock on my Millie. Has anyone done this? are there any pitfalls to look out for? I worry about stretch. Will try a sample first.

If I do the crosshatching on the diagonal, how do you get a nice long line of stitching? I've got a crosshatching ruler and a 45 degree ruler. Now I'm getting worried, LOL.

I appreciate any and all replies.

If you have the Circle Lord, I recommend the 18" Cross Hatch Template. If not, I just did a quilt using a cross hatch ruler from Off the Edge Quilting Supplies (the Dawn Cavanaugh ruler) and used a black light pencil to mark my lines as I went. If you go that route - mark before you load...My blocks were about 18" and I had a hard time - had to roll the quilt. This quilt is haning in a quilt show right now and you cannot see the markings at all.

post--13461898567325_thumb.jpg

How does using a black light work out anyway? Is it as dark as it looks in your photo? Can you provide some tips, and remind me what you use to mark your quilt, I've read and pondered but now I have forgotten what to use, and perhaps where to get a black light?

Thank you

Lindy

Linden,

I posted a message under the "Pictues" thead called "Just for Hoots" you can do a search and the topic comes up...I told where to find the pencil. The lights in the room are tuned off - that is why the picture looks dark. You just use the black light bulb, which I bought a Wal-Mart.

Hi, good topic!..

.i have a quilt i need to do with crosshatching also and it is mine from years ago that i waited to do the applique till i felt i knew enough about applique...now my next hurdle is the crosshatching...but it is my quilt so will be a good practice...I do have the crosshatching plastic template so will use that to determine lines and will try to use a ruler along the side of my long arm needle circle....and will rip it out if i am not pleased...sounds like alot of work already but again, good practice!! Just starting my business and am excited about all the preparations of getting the area ready...good luck to you! Practice makes perfect!!! Hugs, Denise in Wisconsin

I have done several cross hatch quilts, useing the Hartly Fence. It works and I use a one ich grid. Do not have to mark the quilt, as it works on the on the markings on my machine.

Good luck it is slow going, but people seem to really like it and I get paid well for doing the work.

Lin

FloLin quilting

Sandra,

Every stinking piece!! You could try drawing flowers or something onto muslin and practice on that until you get the hang of it. Also, I use my Micro-Drive when going around the applique. Oh, and any ruler that "fits" the job. I use the Key from Off the Edge a lot. I had them demo the Key for me at MQS because I had and used it for guiding my way around the applique, they did, and it looked handy, but I can't do what they did with it...so I just use it where I can. It has different edges on each side. Oh heck, here is the link http://www.offtheedgequilting.com/

You know like everything else PPP. I do bobble and my outline is not perfect, but I tell myself I'm not computer guided I am me guided...Also, I noticed at the quilt show this week, no one is perfect. If you look closely you will see mistakes and wobbles on every quilt.

I always feel better after I go to a quilt show. There are lots of really great quilts that I will never master and I can enjoy them...and there are some that I can do just as well....and there are some that makes me wonder how they got there. Just don't be too hard on yourself, you are better than you think you are.

Wow...what timing! I just got an email asking for a quote on Reminiscence (sp?). She wants a grid in the background and out-lined applique!!!

I thought about it and quoted her a price that is a bit more than my usual freehand custom work...then I gave her another quote on stippling the background with some detail work in the applique instead.

I don't really expect her to bring it to me....I hate to be stereo-typical but she really falls into a category of a certain background that likes to pinch pennies! No offense!!!(since I have a similar background!)

I have not had to do extensive crosshatching work--so maybe my two cents is not of value to you--but would it make sense to baste your layers together before doing extensive crosshatching? OR---do all your other quilting and cross hatch at the end? OR--stabilize with monofilament thread as best you can?

I usually will do something like that if I have motifs that are really large and will require me to roll the quilt to complete.

All the best!

Jill Kerekes

This is getting technical...

Yes they are continuous as far as I could go. I would start on on the top stitcing line with my cross hatch ruler and the 45 degree line on the left seam line of the block. I would put my needle down and stitch diagonal to the left, then turn the ruler lining up the 45 degree angle and stitch down to the right, when I got to the stitching line (the edge of the block) I would back tack and then reposition my ruler and stitch up, diagonally to the right. This almost made a complete circle, but as it turns out, you end on the next line that needs to be stitched going down...here is a rough draft...

1st picture.bmp

Archived