How do I quilt this?

OK, I have attached the photo here, I think. I just got my Millennium several months ago, and I want to finish this silk necktie quilt, see piture. I don't know how to quilt it, especially the center circle, to make it look good. I do not have a Circle Lord, and cannot do feathers very well yet. I am thinking about cross-hatching in the main body, with outlining inside the ties, then something different in the border. I have some photos of my work at: http://community.webshots.com/user/daynaragland

I need your help, please!! Thanks in advance!!

Dayna

post--13461898570008_thumb.jpg

Nice quilt!! I think I would SID on the neckties, do a meander or fill on the black circles, and do another meander or fill on the inside. For fill ideas, Darlene Epp has nice books as does Nan Moore. The cross hatching sounds great. I think I would move it to the borders. That's a lot of work but the quilt is really beautiful and unique.

Hi Dayna,

My first question would be is this going to be for a guy or girl? If for a girl, I would suggest McTavishing in the middle and then the cross hatching in the borders. On the ties themselves, I would SID.

One of the things I do when I am not certain what I want to do is audition several things. I have a piece of plexiglass that I can lay over the quilt top and using vis a vis markers draw out several ideas to see what I like.

Char

Aloha Dayna,

Don't have any ideas for your beautiful neck tie quilt. But I really enjoyed checking out your quilting progress over the past three months - wow, you are really going, girl!!! Feathers ARE tough, but keep practicing, there are so many different techniques out there for beautiful feathers!

Are you quilting for business or just for yourself? You have a lot of quilts in those albums - were they all yours????

Sorry for so many questions - I got my machine (Freedom SR) about the same to as you and am loving it! I used to own a NewJoy/Brother 1500 setup - it was a good start, but the throat space became limiting (4 - 6 inches). The APQS machines are wonderfu int that respect! Everytime I get on my machine, I am amazed at the "wide open spaces" for quilting!

Hawaii Barbara

Barbara, thanks for your response! Yes, the pictures are all my quilts, but most are whole cloth quilts, (no patchwork), so I have more time to practice quilting on my longarm. I am trying to start a business, but finding it hard to get customers. I am ordering some signs for my automobiles, and I hope that will help. Best of luck to you!

Dayna

Archived