How to fit a pantograph to the quilt size

Hi: I have quite a few pantos and so far I have been doing charity work with them. I prefer free hand and have done several quilts this way. I can always fit the design to the entire quilt top. Now I have a customer quilt 95 x 107 and I am confused as to how to get the panto all over the quilt without ending with a partial design. I read the book by Linda Taylor and she said that a quilt should shrink 2 - 10%. She also stated that you most often end with a partial design. Do you choose a design and "guess" by the density an approximate % of shrinkage and go for it? I realize this is another of my anal questions! I guess we are what we are!! I value your collective knowledge and have learned ALOT just by browsing. There are so many talented members here I feel like a newbie-mewbie. Thanks for any input. Jo-Ellen:o

Becky: Thanks so very much for the tip on Longarmuniversity.com. I was doing it right. I guess I am just a worrier. Now I feel I can do a good job and be confident about my work. I just want to do as good a job on a customer quilt as I would do on my own. You are the best. Jo-Ellen

Hi Jo-Ellen. I like to keep things simple, mainly because I'm mathematically challenged and to try to figure out a formula to get a panto to fit perfectly is beyond my capability:( I just pick a design and go for it. I pretty much always end with a partial design at the bottom, but it always looks great.

Hi Jo-Ellen, I wouldn't worry in the least about fitting the panto in, just let it run off the end. If you go to the trouble of measuring and fitting it in you're doing custom work which defeats the whole purpose of a panto. With fitting it in you risk getting too much space in between rows which looks bad. I've been teaching pantos for a couple of years now and I always tell my students to run it off the end. I've never had a customer complain and I've been doing pantos for over 7 years.

there are some who calculate the size of the pattern vs the measurment of the quilt and figure out the space needed between rows to make it come out even on the quilt top - Forget about it!! That is way too much math for me. I even took a class on this and glazed over shortly into the session. I do like the others, put a partial row on the bottom and it looks fine.

we were "calculating" to fit the quilt in the beginning but actually have come to prefer the look of running off the edge. The rows are always perfectly spaced. Most pantos flow up and down and need a filler anyway. Even when you start a row in the perfect spot, there's some open spaces that need to be filled in.

Everyone: Thanks so much for all your input. I did go to longarmuniversity.com and printed out a pantograph quilting description. It was very helpful. I realized after reading all your tips and the LAU blurb that I am obscessing over nothing. There is just no consistent way to plan full coverage for a complete pass on both ends of the quilt. With that laid to rest I can proceed on my merry way and enjoy my quilting and stop creating problemsfor myself. I am sure I will encounter enough troublesome situations on my path without inventing some more. You are all great and a real source of comfort to those of us who "are scared to death" of producing a less that acceptable product. Jo-Ellen

Archived