Signature quilt question

I have been asked to make a breast cancer awareness quilt which will be taken to a big rally at our local fairgrounds on Oct. 27. The governor, a representative, and the news will be there (CAN YOU SEE THE EXCITEMENT ON MY FACE). Breast cancer survivors from all over are coming to sign this quilt.

When the man first approached me about doing this he told me to just do the top and everyone could sign it there and then I could bring it back home and quilt it and he'd get it to the courthouse the next week to put on display.

I've been thinking about it, and I don't see why I couldn't go ahead and quilt and bind it, then take it to the fairgrounds. The signature blocks will still be there, some people may just have to sign over white quilting thread if they write a lot.

Do you think this would work, or should I do it like the guy suggested? I was just thinking that since they are mentioning my name and Chicken Scratch Quilting, I might need to actually have some quilting on the quilt when they do their closeups.

and here's my 2 cents...

If you take just the top. perhaps you would want to stay stitch around the entire 4 sides of it to help keep it from stretching and/or the stitches from coming undone at the edges with all the handling.

BTW-Congratulations on being asked to make and quilt something so special. It's also a great way to get your name out there and connected to a great cause; such positive PR.

Sandy

Oh, I hadn't even thought about the marker going through onto the backing. Good point Heidi. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll just do the top and take it. Maybe we can get the newspaper to take pictures of the finished quilt in it's frame at the courthouse.

I'm doing white hearts on pink for the signature blocks, alternated with the pink ribbon fabric in the alternate squares. I'm hoping it comes out nice. There will be 100 6" blocks- quite a lot. I'm going to start on it this week, while we're out on fall break.

Eeeeeew Teresa, I wanna see pics! That sounds like a really pretty signature block pattern!

Also, what if you put one of those little "note cards" (the blank ones in the stationary/card dept" and pin it on the top of the quilt saying,

1. I've attached some backing paper to prevent bleeding of the markers.

2. When the top has been signed, I will be happy to heat-set for permenancy.

3. I'd be honored to quilt this when completed.....

etc.......

And also, attach your card to the quilt.

Teresa--I have done several signature quilts for my family vacations that we journal on them and I had them all quilted and bound before we left on vacation--I use the pigma markers that scrapbookers use and cotton quilting thread and it worked great.

I know that I have a different opinion than some others--but I think you could quilt it before they sign--then you will have more exposure to more people to get potential customers.

If you have any questions I would be glad to answer them--and if I can find a pic I will post it for you.

Just thought I would give you another option.

Teresa--I usally use Hobbs 80/20 Heirloom and I never have a problem with any bleedthrough to the back---I have even had 4th grade students sign an already quilted quilt for their teacher who was going through chemo for breast cancer and it worked just fine. I just had them practice on a quilt sample first so they could get the feel of how the fabric and pen work first and then let them at it.

I usually use a pen called ZIG memory system markers--found in the scrapbook sections in craft stores--it is pigment ink, acid free, water proof, fade proof and non-bleeding.

I hope that helps--and happy quilting!!!

Teresa - congrats on this great opportunity to grow your business. Show them your stuff, girlfriend.

TerriVB, I have a question about quilting on those photo quilts. I can't see the quilting on yours but it is such a cool quilt and a great memory for years to come for your family. How did you quilt the photos.

I have a client bringing me a quilt soon with lots of photos. She used Printed Treasures quilt paper which is the good stuff. I would never quilt across somebody's face but I have wondered how other LAers treat these quilts. I have always "danced around" the photos as I felt that a needle would pearce the photo which might make it start to peel. Do you find this to be so or do you also dance around the photo? ;)

Have any of your longarmers ever quilted thru a photo...like on the side?

Ramona--I took that quilt along on vacation and journaled it each night on the trip and then appliqued the photos on when we got home. I used a fusible interfacing and just turned the pic and interfacing inside/out and then zig-zaged it on the quilt right through all the layers with 2 threads through the needle to make it a little heavier.

I didn't quilt through any of the photos on this quilt--but on a graduation one for my daughter I just did some outlining of the general photo right through the photo fabric--worked well--just don't have to rip stitches out because the holes don't refill. I also used the Printed Treasures and the ink is saturated into the fabric--so peeling shouldn't be a problem.

I LOVE making photo and signature quilts if you have any more questions--I will gladly try and answer them.

Archived