Quilt with no batting - only cotton pieced top and flannel back - look okay?

It will look terribly flat, but some like it that way. My concern when they tell me this is: Have you thought about the seams coming through the backing...without any batting you will feel every seam, are you sure you want that?

If they aren\'t sure I would suggest a thermore batting...its very thin and it does help with the seams touching the skin...it does offer a bit of warmth, but not as much as a regular batting, and it is light.

I made a summer quilt for my nephew & new wife for their wedding gift and that is exactly what I did as they live in Hawaii. I used a pieced top and flannel for the back and quilted it. Yes it does look flat, but they didn\'t seem to care about that, but were very glad that it wouldn\'t hold the body heat in (good for honeymoons). LOL ;)

For what it\'s worth...I used to live in Texas and definately didn\'t want anythig heavy in the summer. I do like something over me with the airconditioner though. I put Warm and Natural in my summer quilts. It is very light (I haven\'t got the foggiest idea why they call it WARM and natural, I would freeze to death with it as a winter quilt) it gives the quilt some body without being heavy or too warm.

• 2 weeks later...

I have quilted one quilt for a customer with in batting. I didn\'t care for it, but it is what she wanted for the summer.

Dream Cotton...the thinnest loft available but will not add fullness. Hobbs organic cotton with scrim is wonderful too.

I would just do what the customer wants, but let them know ahead of time that it will be very flat and seams will show.

Cheryl

• 3 weeks later...

I love to make flanel to flanel blaankets without batting, I don\'t normall quilt them but rather make them like a baby blanket (only bigger) sometimes, I crochet around the whole edge and I\'ve serged them too. Anyway they are wonderful blankets not the cheapest because a full takes 6 yards and plenty big to tuck in, everyone in my family loves them, I made them all for Christmas last year, and they were a hit, they are both warm and light for the summer, I actually found this out quite by accident when my husband was complaining about all the blankets (new and old and quilts) personally I need a little more weight on me int he winter, so on my side I\'ll often add a smaller quilt, he steals it form me if he gets cool, I toss it off if I get too warm, because we also have one very light weight quilt on along with the blanket.

Just my thoughts,

I\'m not sure every fabric would quilt up nice without batting -- has anyone ever been unable to quilt without some think batting????

Lindy

Archived