rookie questions

• 2 months later...

Teresa,

As you know, it is very difficult to work with two different colored threads, one on top and one on the bottom, especially if the one on top is light and the one on the bottom is dark. I try not to work with two different colors so I don\'t reach the exploding point :) I hope there is a solution for you, but I\'m not sure there is.

Teresa,

I use two colors all the time with very good results. I\'ve even used black and white with good results.

What I do is adjust the bottom tension using my towa gauge as it normally is for the type of thread I am using. Then I tighten the top tension JUST until I start seeing the bottom thread showing with very tiny dots of color. When I take the quilt off the machine those tiny dots of color sink back into the quilt sandwich and the tension is perfect. You can\'t see dots of color on either side.

Hope this helps.

Debbi

I still can\'t get this highlights thread to run worth anything. And I REALLY want it to. I love the look and feel of it.

I am still getting breakage about every 5-10 minutes or so. I still have green dots on the back and black dots on the front.

I have:

**set the bobbin to the normal drop test rule (prewound, cardboard bobbin)

then, tightened the top tension until I was getting bobbin thread on top, then loosened top tension to what was most acceptable, without MAJOR green and black dots.

I have changed to brand new pigtails, a brand new needle, cleaned, WD 40, and oil to bobbin area.

I have a piece of batting with silicone on it right above the netted thread cone.

I also added silicone between the tension disks, in my pigtails, and all up and down my needle.

These things have helped some,but I\'m getting very frustrated. My GD is coming to spend the night and I wanted to have her quilt done so she could use it tonight. I\'ve been quilting this little quilt all week.

The bottom fabric is 100% cotton black quilt backer. The top is pieced from scraps. The batting is medium loft polyester/cotton blend (from fabric store).

Archived