Ult II - foot too low?

I'm not having any problems with stitching, it's been timed, adjusted according to all directions and tips found. But, having the foot only a "folded business card" heighth from the base doesn't allow much room to get quilts under it? Even if I manually raise the foot, sometimes the needle seems low also? Any suggestions or ideas - is this just the way it is for the Ultimate II (older machine)?

Where would you mount a horizontal thread spool holder on the Ult II? As I've found several "non-cone" type threads that do not sew well on the standard thread holder? Does APQS have one for the Ult II?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions - Love all your great ideas and seeing your INCREDIBLE quilts on this forum!!!

Signed,

Simple Home Quilter

p.s. has the home LA forum started yet?

I have my foot set with 3 to 4 business cards under my foot...this will let me do just about any type of batting from plush poly to very thin cotton...without pushing the top around like a huge MOLE crawling around. Also you didn\'t mention which foot you are trying to use...the original washer style, the high sided Gadget Girl foot, or the new 1/4 inch one Sheri Butler sells....each one has a bit of difference on how it sits. I actually have all three feet....

You say that you have the timing correct, but that you seem to have the needle low....without pictures I\'m not sure what you are calling low. Are you sure that you have the needle completely up inside the needle holder correctly...the needle eye should be showing about 1/2 way down when the needle is in its lowest down stroke point (Mark if I\'m wrong here please correct me). ALSO if you are getting a perfect stitch then the needle has to be correct, otherwise you wouldn\'t be getting a good contact with the hook assembly. When adjusting the foot you shouldn\'t be playing with the needle bar....just the foot bar.

You asked about the hoziontal spool pole...several companies has one that can be mounted on to the ULT II\'s...APQS I believe has one that has sticky tape that will fit just in front of the top thread guide....not sure what the cost is, but if it fits the Millies it should work for any of the machines....as its just a taped on item not a item where you need to drill a screw hole and attach that way.

Hope this helps a little.

Hi Simple Quilter,

I suggest you follow Bonnie\'s instructions for setting the correct space between the base of the needle plate, and your foot.

I don\'t have the original "saucer" foot on my machine. Instead I have Sheri Butlers round foot. You can see it at:

http://partnerpage.google.com/vintagestitchesquilting.com

I found it works so much nicer than the saucer shaped foot. I still used Bonnie\'s business card stack to set the distance. (Thank you Bonnie!)--- I never have a problem with quilting. I do use Hobbs 80/20 or Warm and Natural batt. Nothing very lofty.

I love my machine---if you want to see more pictures please check out my "Rosie" Ultimate II album at my Picturetrails site. I have a lot of pictures of my Ultimate there.

http://www.picturetrail.com/angiestuff

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions - The reason all this came up is because I switched to Sheri\'s 1/2" foot from the saucer foot - I do believe it is set too low I\'m just glad to hear it from someone else. What I meant about the needle is that when I manually raise the foot to move over the edge of the quilt there just isn\'t alot of space (even with the needle at it\'s highest point)?! When I re-timed it, I followed the directions and when the needle is in its lowest position - I can see the whole eye of the needle from below when the bobbin case is removed. (that\'s they way it looks in the manual and on the video?) Do you adjust each time you change your foot? What would be the reason to go back to the saucer foot? If I raise the needle and the foot will I have to re-time it?

O.k. That\'s enough questions for now!

THANKS so much!

The foot and the needle timing HAVE nothing to do with each other....our foot is not a hopping foot, it just sits there and glides across the fabric, or pushes the fabric if you have it to low (the foot that is)....NEVER use the foot to judge where your needle needs to be.

You may need to raise the presser foot bar up some to get the right adjustment to the foot....but this has nothing to do with the needle bar.

I needed to raise my presser foot bar up and then adjusted the presser foot so that it would be flush with the bottom of the bar and still be able to use the rulers....if you need pictures U2U me your email address and I will send you how I did mine....It did take me a few tries to get it right, but now someone would have to pry my cold dead fingers away from it. It was well worth the wait to have someone create it and the money....

Hi again,

I\'m not sure what the problem could be on your machine.

When I installed Sheri\'s foot, I just stacked the business cards under it after I had slipped the part with the tightening screw onto the shaft with the spring on it. Tightened up the little screw that holds the foot in place, and it was ready to stitch.

The foot does not hop on these machines as you know. It just sort of skims over the fabric. Maybe you need to move the foot up the shank that it attaches to just a tad more.

Have you contacted Sheri. Perhaps she can help you.

Sorry, it\'s hard without pictures to see exactly what is going on.....

Hey Bonnie,

here\'s a picture of mine if it helps.

I raised my foot bar up slightly to accomidate for the shaft

not coming out the bottom of the 1/4 foot. All my gadgets and

toys fit under the backside of the foot with no problems now.

If you don\'t raise the foot bar the shaft will protrude throught

the bottom of the new 1/4 foot and stop you from using the tools

you wanna play with.

post--13461898731326_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Michael...my day just ran out on me yesterday, I didn\'t even get to the computer until way late.....Cathy, this should answer what it should look like when in its proper postion, but now I\'m wondering if you know how to raise the bar..if you don\'t that will be the next step..Let us know and we will walk you through that as well.

Hi guys,

I just want to add with the U-II pressure foot not actually hopping up and down, we do want to make sure that we have optimum pressure with the foot and the fabric. If we get the foot too high and not actually compressing the fabric enough to hold it and make the stitch, we can have skipped stitches and stitching problems just like if your machine is out of time. So keep that in mind when making those adjustments. I like to have the foot right down touching the needle plate so I know we are making the correct contact with the fabric and then have the spring tension or down pressure on the foot not so tight so the foot will still float and go over seams like it should.

Hope this will help. Let us know if you need anything!

Take care,

Thanks for all of your information - I do know how to raise the foot bar and I understand what you\'re saying about the pressure on the quilt itself - I will play with it some more. I\'m glad to hear that others have felt the 1 business card was too low also! THANKS!! I guess what works, works?!?

Archived