Invisible thread

Wish I could help more.. I don\'t recall ever seeing it on a cone.. On the other hand, I wasn\'t in a situation where I could use cones for most things...

The Nylon, put out by Prym Dritz comes on a 1500 yard spool.. I\'d think it might help if you contacted them, or the company that puts out the poly mono.. Can\'t locate the spool and can\'t remember the company. Maybe someone else can tell us.

Good luck in your search..

RitaR

RitaR.

MonoPoly is Superior\'s invisible thread--it is spun poly, not nylon and it has a very soft feel and only a little shine. I don\'t know if it comes on cones--I buy it on spools which last forever.

It is happier on a horizontal spool holder which feeds the thread off as the spool spins rather than pulling off the top like a cone thread feeds. If you don\'t have a spool holder, place the spool of thread in a plastic deli container with a small hole cut in the lid ( a round hole made with a paper punch is best because ther are no sharp edges to catch the thread).

Wedge that container between the cone spindle and the side of the machine with the thread feeding out of the hole in such a way that it doesn\'t catch on anything. Thread the machine, but only thread through two holes of the three-hole guide above the tensioner. Set the top tension loose and there ya go!

I did the deli container set-up until my DH made me a spool holder from a block of wood. It has a hole drilled through to accept a metal rod and it has a piece of rubber tubing on the end to keep the spool from falling off. I tape it to the top of my machine with painter\'s tape when I want to use it.

I am the Queen of cheap and my DH is a mechanical engineer so I am happy to use these home-made inventions to allow me to spend more money on thread!! Hope this helped a bit.

BTW--if you use MonoPoly or any nylon thread a lot, invest in an extra set of pigtail guides because extended usage of this type of thread will cause grooves and burrs on the guides. This will cause thread breakage --just swap them out and keep the groovey ones only for invisible stuff. Good luck!

YLI monofilament comes on a huge , I mean HUGE spool. I think it

has 50,000 yard on it. I\'ll search a little because there was a link on this

board of where to get it. I believe it was around $20.00 for that much

thread. I use it and it works great.

I do love the MonoPoly by superior also, I wish it came in a larger size.

Michele

I bought a cone of this nylon thread when I first set up the business. It is HUGE. The plastic cover for it is the size of a 2 liter pop bottle!!

It is great thread for drag-around kid\'s quilts or for puffy comforter-type tops. If you do lots of QOV or charity tops, this is ideal. It is nylon and I prefer the MonoPoly.

I would love to donate (free, free, free!!) this thread to someone who does lots of QOV and other charity tops. If you can pick it up (Olympia, Wa.) or are willing to pay the shipping I will happily pass this along to you.

Any takers? Send me an email (in my profile) or a U2U.

Here is a link for 10,000 yd Madera for $19.00

http://columbiariverquilting.com/madeira_monofil.html

I got my YLI from Checkers which is a wholesale company. I couldn\'t

find the YLI in Huge spools.

I found Huge spools of monofilament but it didn\'t say the brand of

thread. I made that mistake once and won\'t buy monofilament without

the brand pointed out.

Michele

I have found that the monopoly works just fine on the regular spool with a thread net. I have the horizontal spool as well, but when the spool is full, it tended to backlash and get caught. With the net on it, it pulls evenly from the top, and works great. I fold the net in about 1/2 so that the net only covers the spool, not leaking out over the top.

Beth

I just finished applique blocks for a 30\'s fabric quilt using the monofiliment on a cone.... I think I got it at Joann\'s.... Here\'s a little tip:

I stuffed about a 1/2" x 3" piece of batting (tied it around) in the elbow of the thread holder and I had hardly any breaks at all! I now have that on my DSM, my bobbin winder, and my Ulti 1. It works great! It keeps enough tension on the thread to not have it backlash or loop and break when you sew.

I just finished applique blocks for a 30\'s fabric quilt using the monofiliment on a cone.... I think I got it at Joann\'s.... Here\'s a little tip:

I stuffed about a 1/2" x 3" piece of batting (tied it around) in the elbow of the thread holder and I had hardly any breaks at all! I now have that on my DSM, my bobbin winder, and my Ulti 1. It works great! It keeps enough tension on the thread to not have it backlash or loop and break when you sew.

Don\'t forget to really loosen your tension when using this type of thread.... I think I was at 1/2 or 1 on my DSM. It was very low.... test it out.

Archived