Thread showing on back

Hi, I am doing a quilt that I am using Kind Tut verigated thread on top and Superio cream on a cream back. My problem is at stopping or curves like points of leaves etc, you can see the verigated thread, like little knots on the back. The tension looks good, I have in stitch regulated mode and have tried various needles. Any suggestions, this is going in a show soon. HELP!!

Thanks, I will try that this morning. I also call the customer and after talking, I think we will go with the verigated thread in the bobbin also, should look good on the cream. But now I have to start my reverse stitching FROG. Thanks for the stitch length I will try that incase I run across this again.

I always try and use the same thread top and bottom. If it's not the same I make sure the VALUE of the color is the same. Red on top green on botton, OK. Pink on top and green on bottom, no good.

I remember haveing a quilt done by someone else before I got my machine, and she changed thread alot on the top, but never in the bobbin, and there are places where the thread looks like salt and pepper. So ,even though I am new to this, I will tell people that the thread will match top and bottom.;)

Caron

I have never had a problem with using lets say a gray on top and cream or white on back. Or using bottom line in the bobbin and supeior on the top, but we have decided to go with verigated on top and bottom and I have spent 8 hours ripping out and ready to go again. so I am glad I had the customer come look. sometimes what I don't like the customer does. I might be picky also. But its my name out there. So I err on the safe side.

I have never had a problem with using lets say a gray on top and cream or white on back. Or using bottom line in the bobbin and supeior on the top, but we have decided to go with verigated on top and bottom and I have spent 8 hours ripping out and ready to go again. so I am glad I had the customer come look. sometimes what I don't like the customer does. I might be picky also. But its my name out there. So I err on the safe side.

• 1 month later...

I have a customer who wants black thread on the top and white in the bobbin. I usually use Superior So Fine thread. The batting is very thin, Quilter's Dream Cotton Request. Is this a losing battle trying to get the tension so that the black only shows on top and the white on the bottom?

I have never used such different threads on top and bottom, so I may not know what I am talking about and someone else may know better, but I think that with such different thread, and with such thin batting, that even if you are able to get your tension adjusted perfectly, there might be places where you will have little pokies, like points, etc. However, another thought is what the backing is like. If it is a very busy print, I'd think it would probably be okay because the thread and therefore, the pokies if there are any, will not show. Just my thoughts, since I've never tried using black and white thread together!

The top of the quilt is black, white and red, quite dramatic actually. The backing fabric background is white and it has a black design that is sort of like flowers. The backing is pretty evenly divided with black and white.

Of course, this quilt is for a shop owner (her own quilt, though) and she just thinks I don't know how to properly adjust the tension on my machine, which is a Millenium.

I used to have this same problem with one of my favortie pantos that had lots of points. I have since started using my TOWA tension guage and can keep my bobin tension exact for each top thread I use. I run about 20, but others I know run a higher bobbin tension on their TOWA it' depends on your machine. When I found the perfect tension for the bobbin I was able to reduce the tension on top to match and this stopped the pulling at the points on the top thread.

Now I can drop the top tension half a turn to reduce the pulling at the points on top and still not have any railroads on my bottom thread.

Archived