Bobbin Thread type for King Tut

I am getting ready to use King Tut on a Sampler and I was curious as to which type of thread to use in the bobin? The backing fabric is a print of one color type. I have both cotton and poly pre wounds. Have not had any much fun winding my own bobbins and would rather play around with those when I am practicing.

So - do I use the cotton or the poly? Any tension hints would be appreciated also.

From balmy Atlanta, Georgia - 70's in Dec?!?!?!?!:cool:

Hey you blonds, brunettes, red heads, and silver-manes--you can combine any kind of thread as long as it WORKS!!!

Poly and cotton are a happy combo usually because the cotton thread has tiny filaments that catch the slick poly. Poly and poly work as long as you corral them so they don\'t go wild---put a sock on the cone and tweak the tension. So Fine feels like cotton and is great to combine with Tut or Bottom Line.

Try what you have and your machine will show you what she likes. Mine loves BL both top and bottom, Tut and BL together, Tut and So Fine together, and Signature with just about anything. I do use a lot of Sewer\'s Aid with Tut, though.

Have fun seeing what works for you.

Sharon,

I didn\'t think your question was a blond question at all!

Linda, thanks for the reply. Will get a test quilt sandwich out and play to see what my machine likes.

Norace - keep praying for rain!!!

Jen - get all the thread you want (read your other post!!) Thread is like candy - you can\'t have enough

Happy Holidays!:)

Beth, I love King Tut variegated thread. It\'s the wonderful color combinations that Superior produces that make it one of my favorites. I usually loosen my tension to run KT. I have used Bottom Line in the bobbin with KT and it works well. I prefer the medium footprint that I get with So Fine thread in the bobbin, though

This is interesting - how each one of us puts our threads together. I use King Tut & So Fine together. It just works, especially if the fabric is not prewashed. Right now I am using one of the new 4 Tuts #994 - blues & browns. It is gorgeous on the new Moda lines. The pink/brown is fabulous too.

Any how, keep going longarmers - these rush jobs are getting to me. Three more to go and then my quilts go on Miss Millie!

I bought some gold and silver metallic thread at the Harrisburg show and used it on some oriental fabrics that I made what was going to be a wall hanging but cut it up and made a robe. I did use some sewers aid on a piece of felt I attached to one of the escapements to keep the thread running smooth. It had been tangling and breaking in the beginning. That seemed to work fairly well. I have a lot more of the oriental fabrics that I have to use and will use the metallics again. It was in one of Fons and Porters books by Marylyn Badger all curves, it really came out nice after I figured out how it went together. Don\'t know how to post pictures. I only do pantographs no freehand. No talent that way.

Thank you all very much. I have lots of cotton bobbin thread that seems fine enough to use with So Fine but wondered if there was a \'rule\' about the use of both on a quilt. Guess I\'ll just have to try it ans see what happens. Have any of you used Masterpiece for quilting? I have and it works as long as I watch my tension.

On another thread---I just finished 3 small quilts for a customer. She wanted quilts made from her husband\'s Hawaiian shirts (he recently passed away). Of course the shirts were rayon. They were a bear to piece but quilted beautifully. I used cotton Hawaiian pants for the borders which helped to stablize (sp?) the blocks.

All you that use King Tut and loosen your tension ? I have to tighten my tension with Tut to anywhere from 3-4 grooves showing on the tension screw in order not to have pokies and loose stitches, but the natual colored KT I have to back off the tension to where the tension nut is almost coming off the post..go figure. It\'s the Rainbows I have to have a very loose tension on. I have never had to use Sewers Aid with KT only when I use the metallics does that come into play. Guess these machines all have their own personalities.:D

I\'ve been using YLI soft touch in the bobbin as it is a 60 weight 2ply long staple cotton thread with King Tut on top. I find I have to run the King Tut through one hole only on the thread guides and with no tension at all in the disks or everything lays on the top. Part of the problem I suspect is that the smaller reels which I use only come parallel wound so they have to rotate horizontally to feed smoothly and so you have the weight of the reel behind the thread adding tension.

I find that the tension on my bobbins varies depending on whether I wind on my DSM or the Millie bobbin winder. It is much tighter on the bobbin winder supplied but boy is that a vicious little machine. It winds so fast and if the thread runs out or it winds unevenly you can\'t stop it quickly enough

Thanks for all the advice. I finished the quilt yesterday, just did a freemotion looping meander since the quilt is kinda busy. King Tut is wonderful thread and I used Bottom Line in the bobbin. I could not get the cotton bobbin thread to work nicely. I think its time to get another bobbin case just for cotton bobbins because I have a lot of cotton pre wounds!

Happy Holidays and thanks again for all your advice.:)

Archived