Sharon Schambers Glue tips

I took her pieceleque class, and it\'s really nice. The hard part is adapting a pattern to be done in this method, But she did disassemble a mechanical pencil for the tip, took apart the top mechanism for an Elmer\'s glue bottle, and then inserted the metal pen tip in the glue top so that a very very tint bead of glue comes out.

Just like LAing - PPP

chip board then warm and natural then heat n bond heavy then 10 oz cotton canvas. It has to be cotton canvas every thing else is too light weight. any questions give me a call and I can walk you through it. Since switching to this board I use it for all my pressing.

Tina

June Tailor\'s pressing board is very firm and that\'s what I use.

I\'m becoming as glue dependent as Sharon Schamber. I use Roxanne\'s Glue Baste-It. It has a very fine tip that leaves a line of droplets, not drops; tiny droplets. The only reason that I use it was because I already had it for an applique class that I took. However, it is about $8.00 a bottle, so when its gone I\'ll probably try the Elmer\'s Washable School glue if I can find a tip that will fit. Maybe I\'ll re-fill it the Baste-It bottle with Elmers.

I find the glue gives me better control than clips or pins. I prefer to stitch from the front because I\'m more concerned about the front than the back. I use an edgestitch foot that has a guide in the front. I put the guide in the ditch and stitch very slowly. After I stitch about five inches I stop the machine (use needle down) and check the area that I\'ve stitched. If I\'m not catching the binding edge on the back of the quilt then I move the needle position over just a couple places. I still keep the guide in the ditch but the front binding will be top stitched as will the back. I stop and check the back every five to ten inches to be sure that I\'m still catching the edge on the back. If worse comes to worse and I still am not catching the binding edge on the back then I go back and do a decorative stitch about an eighth of an inch above the ditch. I do bindings on a lot of my customer quilts and this is the method that I use unless they want to pay for hand work. So far everyone has been happy with the bindings. I make good money on bindings and with the glue method I don\'t mind doing them. This method is for utility quilts.

It does take some practice to use this system and to catch the back while machine stitching from the front. I can do a queen size quilt in two to three hours.

Personally, I think that the most important thing to do to get a good straight binding is to press it well. My bindings get three to four pressings; first, I set the seam; second, I take the edge of the binding and bring it over to cover the binding seam and press it firmly to create a crease; third, I open up the seam and press it; fourth, I roll the binding over the edge of the quilt and the crease I put in it in the second step helps it lay over the edge consistently without a lot of pulling, and at this point I put down the line of glue droplets and press it. I didn\'t get good bindings until I learned to press it. You can do a great machine binding without the glue if you press it properly.

Phyllis

Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone know... I tried Sharon\'s glue technique on the binding of a very problematic baby quilt just before Christmas. Sort of!

I was too impatient to wait on getting the flue tips, so I used the kids glue sticks. checked the ingredients, and they were the same as the washable school glue, so I figured what the heck...

It worked just like her video... I really wasn\'t expecting it to work out as well as it did, guess I was more than just a bit skepticle (sp), but it really worked out a lot better than I ever thought it would.

of course the little wheels started turning, and I have orderd a whole bunch from the office supply store...

Also, since it was a baby quilt, I ALWAYS wash before it is given to new mom, and it washed great!

Happy New Year!

Jeanne Morris

Monroe, GA

Just thought I\'d share.

Archived