Sharon Schambers Glue tips

Dharma Trading Co. <http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1938-AA.shtml?lnav=tools.html>

I have tried it; did not find gluing down the back of the binding to be an improvement for hand finishing, but I am sure it would be if you want to finish by machine. The technique for cutting & sewing the strips together is GREAT.

I probably HAVE it all, if only I could find it!

I wish I could show you pictures of the quilt I should be ripping out right now. I tried the glue trick...hated it. I made a baby quilt and thought that would be the perfect technique for finishing the binding. NOT! It was not for me. There were others who posted saying they loved the technique. I tried it about 6 months ago. There were places the stitching didn\'t catch but because of the glue the fabric was stiff. I tried to manipulate the fabric and re-sew and re-sew and now I have about 30 layers of stitching to rip out of this baby quilt so I can do the binding the old fashioned way. The baby that this quilt should go to weighs about 100 pounds - not really, but he is pretty round and I am afraid by the time I go back to it he will be graduating from college....somehow his "Duck, Duck, Goose" quilt won\'t be age appropriate!

Just my two cents!

Mary Beth

Michelle,

I got my tips at JoAnns. I don\'t even find that I need to use them. I just don\'t open the nozzle all the way and I can keep it is to a small thin line.

Mary Beth - what part of it are you having the problem with? I know that I had to play a little to figure out how to glue and then iron without getting the glue all over me. I run a bead of glue then starting right and working to the left I can get is all lined up. I used it on my baseball quilt and it worked wondefully and I love that I don\'t have to have pins to and the binding is all in place. I can see how some might not like it though. It is just like any other technique...no one way to do anything!

Heidi

Heidi,

I agree that I can see how some would love this technique and it would work well for them. As for me...I am a traditionalist and probably better try to stay that way :) I like learning new things...but they need to work for me and this method just did not. I wish it had...you should see the mess I made of that quilt.

I have been doing a bit of gluing lately so I will share some things I have found.

I tried gluing down a binding and machine finishing like Sharon recommends. I was very disappointed in my results. I won\'t use that method again.

BUT....I bought her pieclique book and thought that the way she did her curved seams sounded great....but when I actually tried it (several times) I was always disappointed. The glue was messy and uncontrollable. A few weeks ago a friends said that she used the glue sticks instead of Elmer\'s school glue. It made a WORLD of difference. The glue actually sticks quickly and is not messy. I am doing some curved piecing and I must say that I love it!

I took a class from Beth Ferrier and she taught using glue sticks for machine appliqué and the results were great.

I wouldn\'t use the liquid glue again. I HATED it.

I\'m not sure if the technique is similar, but I have fused Superiors Charlotte\'s Web thread between the back of the binding and the back of the quilt (after sewing the first seam to the front and folding the binding to the back) and it works really well for machine binding or for hand binding.

I cut about one foot to two feet sections of this thread, lay between the back binding and the back of the quilt, press with an iron on cotton setting for about 10 seconds or less and it holds the binding to the back very nicely....no messy glues but a nice clean hold. It takes about 15 minutes for this extra step to go all the way around a queen size quilt but it is well worth it.

I entered a quilt in a show using this technique (and had not finished hand binding the back) and the judges did not say a thing about the binding...other comments of course, but not about the binding. I don\'t think they realized it wasn\'t sewn down.

I don\'t use Charlotte\'s web as a bobbin thread like suggested on Superior\'s website...when you fuse the thread on the back using the "bobbin" method, the top thread is released and you have to sew the top and bottom binding down.

The thread only runs $5 or $6 (I think) and I\'ve used it on about 6 large quilts so far and haven\'t run out of thread.

I use to use steam-a-seam2 to hold down my bindings ... now just use the washable school glue (elmer\'s white). It just takes a tad, iron dry and I\'m ready to go. Wash afterwards and the glue is gone.

As for the tip I use it straight from the bottle. You can make a \'cone\' tip by using scotch tape ....... learned that from the very old Alene\'s Creative Living Show back in the early \'80\'s. (oops telling my age)

Joanne,

When you used Charlottes Web thread as a fusible to hold the folded binding back over the edge, how does it wash up? Does it stay "stuck" when washed? Sounds like something to try if it holds up.

I, too, have used Elmer\'s glue to hold the binding back and then machined stitch from the front. I haven\'t got all the bugs worked out of it yet as I have missed the binding on the back side and have to restitch. But I\'m sure if I am more careful I will get better at it.

I too have often successfully used iron-on tape (probably the steam-a-seam2 the dixiqwv mentioned). I sew the first side of the binding and then iron the second side in place. After I finish I do a decorative stitch that is centered over the edge of the binding. I use this technique on lap quilts that I give away to nursing homes. Since the tape isn\'t completely up to the edge of the binding I don\'t know how it would do over time by itself.

I do not wash these quilts before I give them away, so I\'m not sure how I feel about the glue technique...

I\'m not sure if the Charlotte\'s web washes out. You can\'t see it or feel it either way. It\'s doesn\'t leave a film or get hard like elmer glue does.

In fact, it\'s fun to play with, and you have to iron quickly when you use the method.

The thread melts really quickly and curls up when it comes in contact with heat but it\'s not hard. It\'s consistency is somewhat rubbery but the thread is so thin it doesn\'t show on the quilt.

I have 5 or 6 spools of this thread. If anyone wants to try it, send me an email at joanne@yeoldeforest.com and I will send you my home address. If you mail me a self-addressed envelope, I\'ll send two or three feet of the thread back to you to try. It really is a neat method. I\'ve attached some pictures in a minute or two...

Okay here\'s my 2 cents

The one thing is Sharon\'s techniques is a technique and if you cut out any of her steps or substitute different products and don\'t use a hard enough pressing surface you won\'t get the results. I too tried her binding technique about a year ago and found it impossible then I watched her video on her network site and followed step by step and I love the results. The key is the right pressing surface and a hot enough iron. Also when all is said and sone the best way to remove the glue is synthropal.

To those who have tried this technique it takes some practice but like any new technique including learning new long arm techniques sometimes it takes a while to get it down pat.

For anyone interested you can watch sharon\'s video\'s on utube or go to her network and watch the free section of videos. http://www.sharonschambernetwork.com/media/free/index.html

As for me I love her techniques.

I haven\'t visited Sharon\'s site recently to see what she shows for her glue tips, but originally she used the removable tip from an inexpensive 0.5 mm mechanical pencil (you just pop it off without deforming the tip.) The one that I made uses the plastic tip from a 0.5 pencil; the line of glue that it leaves can be very thin depending on how fast you apply it.

At one time she also had instructions for a pressing board on her site. The base is masonite with a layer of cotton batting and muslin---these make a firm ironing surface.

Amelia

I have watched Sharon\'s video twice. I have tried the technique twice. I found it VERY frustrating and time-consuming. My border was not even all the way around even though it was sewn on even (hope that makes sense). My friend loves this technique, however, and she told me that she sews all the way around the sandwich with a zig-zag to hold all the layers firmly together before using the glue. (I\'m not sure if that if before or after the binding is applied to the front.)

I bought my glue tips at Hobby Lobby. Sharon\'s daughter also sells them at Purple Daisies.

Archived