advice please

My MIL made us a quilt when we first moved into our home about 7 years ago. We have used it just about every day since then. The problem is that through use and washing and all that fun stuff I'm getting a lot of split seams. I've been thinking about putting it up on the fame and doing a panto on it but I am unsure how to proceed. It's a tied quilt, do I take the yarn out first or just quilt over it? I was planning on attaching muslin top and bottom so I can get a really good edge to edge design. I should also mention there is no binding it's whip stitched closed.

Help, has anyone does this before?

post--13461898915547_thumb.jpg

Judy...If you are going to all that trouble why not take the whole thing apart...resew the seams that are fraying and put a new batting and backing on. I think you would be happier if you take the extra time and do it the long way.

You can put it on the frame, but a tied quilt does not react the same as one that is LA\'d....you might have puckers in the backing or on the top and not on the backing, where you wouldn\'t if you put on a new backing. Also after 7 years of washing and only being tied...some batting have a habit of bunching in spots. Or at least I have had several that did this and made for a lumpy sleep.

I would wash the backing muslin and just start over....I think you would be happier, but that is my opinion.

Ditto. If the fabric itself is still in good shape, I think that I would reinforce the seams and use that top, lose the rest.

I am in the process of pulling apart a Transportation quilt I made for my oldest son in 1980. I was a real rookie and it scared me away from quilting for years. I used denim in the sashing and a sheet for the backing. YIKES.

I had to hide it from him for a few years or he would have worn it out. I want to re-work it and give it to his 5-yr old son. So I am planning to keep the blocks and jettisoning the rest. It will be like a new quilt.

I think the batting is your preference.

I like to sleep under cotton batt because it breathes. Quilter\'s Dream Wool has a very nice life, breaths and quilts up great.

When I think of comforter-style, Air-Lite has the really high-loft comforter style batting (30 oz stuff). I\'ve only done one and I had to be very careful about the panto pattern that I chose because of the loft. Not sure you want that high a loft. There is no drape to it and check your hopping foot height if you choose the Air-Lite.

I hope you post a photo of the re-constructed quilt.

Judy...you will be much happier this way.

Battings are like Linda said a perference, but remember not all high loft battings were created equal. AND some of the higher loft battings were and are only intended for hand tying quilts. They really weren\'t meant to be crammed into a longarm.

The higher the loft the more chance you will have of fabric bunching into little tucks, so if you have a poly batting in your future, just take into mind that you should/can go fairly high, but say a FAT BAT just is to thick really to be pretty....FLUFFY yes, pretty no. You don\'t need to exchange one problem for another.

I think you will get another 10 years or more out of the quilt by taking it apart and restitching the weak seams (it\'s not a complicated pattern so it would be a quick fix) then you can choose the batting of you choice, panto and bind it. In the end you will have new life breathed into an already beloved & cherished quilt.

Archived