SID and outline quilting

Hi all,

It may just be that I need lots more practice, but I'm having a terrible time staying even close to the stitching line when doing SID and outline quilting. I have finally mastered straight lines by using my acrylic ruler, but I can't figure out how to control my machine well enough to get right up next to my applique shapes. Does anybody have any suggestions that might help?

Thanks, Teresa

PS I have an Ultimate II machine.

Hi Teresa,

First of all, I assume you have a good extended base on your machine so you have a nice large flat surface for the ruler.

After that it's just a matter of practice. Keep a very light pressure on the ruler. Too much pressure keeps the machine from moving freely. The more you do this type of work, the better and faster you'll get at it.

BUT, I have great news and a few tips for you.

1. If you don't have a black light bulb, get one.

2. For any light to medium fabrics, you can use Superior's Bottom Line thread in White #621/

3. Use a ruler. I use different ones, depending on what I'm doing, but the Gadget Girls "Janet-Lee's Favorite" is a "must have". These rulers are made with "side lit neon" plexiglass and really do light up the seam as you sew, especially under the black light. Just pivot the ruler to go around shapes. Just keep doing it, and all of a sudden your brain and hands and machine will start working together. HONEST!! ;)

Here's a picture I took the other day while I was outlining some applique. The background fabric is white on white, so it also flouresces, but as you can see on the leaf on the left, I could also see immediately if I went onto the applique.

post--13461897621845_thumb.jpg

THis picture shows a student practicing SID using the black light. You can see how the ruler lights up the "ditch". Unlike the student's hand in the picture, you MUST keep control of the ruler around the area of the needle!

I wish the black light & Bottom Line white thread could be used on all colors of fabrics, but of course it can't. Once you've practiced this way tho', your hand and brain will be working together and you'll be able to then work on darker fabrics and a smoke colored clear thread like Superior's Monopoly or YLI's Wonder Thread .004.

Then you need to turn off the machine light and use a "side light" to cause shadowing. This will make it much easier on your eyes. I just use a kitchen type fluorescent tube sitting across my rollers to give side light. It's cheap and I never burn myself on the bulb like the halogen bulbs in the lights some quilters are clamping to their machines.

post--13461897621995_thumb.jpg

Hi Darlene. I would really appreciate it if you could post a picture of how you attached your kitchen light to your machine. I can't picture it and I know that when I see it there will be an a-ha moment. Thanks for sharing your tips so readily...that is what makes this such a good site. I am constantly amazed at the sharing that goes on from such wonderful quilters.

Thanks again.

Lynda B

Golden BC

I think I have A WHOLE LOT TO LEARN!!! I've never heard of this black-lighting..I thought it was something used in surgical procedures and crime

scenes...boy, this is exciting! Going to have to investigate this more.

Oh, the butterfly quilt is fantastic..just like I'd like mine to look...if I'd made one...better get busy shouldn't I?

Here it is on the right side turned upside down. I have a power bar mounted on the front of the table between the machine rails (sticky, industrial strength velcro), and that is where my foot pedal for the power advance feed, my iron (for steaming out fullness), and my light bar are plugged in.

Darlene Epp

post--13461897622349_thumb.jpg

Darlene!

Thank you so much for the photos!! "One picture is worth a thousand words!" Everyone has been telling me about black lights, using your plexi rulers w/neon side lighting, lighting your shadows so you can see where you're going and where you've been. Now I GET IT !!!

thank you, thank you, thank you :)

Thank you for the tip, Darlene! What an excellent idea. I have the halogen snake light that clamps to my machine, but I don't really like it. Sometimes I am desperate and have to use it, but it doesn't work very well--for me, anyway. This is a great idea, and I will have to get myself one. Great quilting, by the way. The light makes it show up so well.

I have heard that the best place to buy the blacklight bulb is at Walmart or a home center. I understand the price is right- about $4.00. I am going to check it out today. The rulers are available from the longarm suppliers. My personal favorite for SID is Sherry Rogers-Harrison's Dainty Ditcher. It is the size of a business card and is very easy to handle. I also like the Janet Lee's Favorite.

Darlene,

You are such a wonderful resource person, and so very helpful. Thank you so much for all of the photo posting you have provided for us recently. It is so inspirational, too. I use your pocket guides often- bought them when I had a home system and they are still my favorite starting point for quilting designs.

Cathy in NC

Hi everyone

Thanks Darlene for all the pics and taking time to explain your lighting systems and your power source under the table - I am sure Steve (husband) will be so grateful to you for giving him another job this weekend!!!

While he's under the table I might get him to see what would happen if he put some lighting under the table shining up onto the back of the quilt. Lately I have been having trouble seeing the underneath stitches to check tension. Lucky we have a plexiglass table top!

To chickenscratch

I was wondering if your wheels might not be adjusted correctly. Connie has great instructions for adjusting your wheels on this site. If they are not adjusted correctly you will be fighting your machine and outlining will be more difficult than it needs to be.

I don't use rulers for horizontal and vertical lines or for going around applique, I just go slowly with my right hand on the handles and with my left hand fingers just close to where I want to stitch. With my fingers close to the stitching line I can manipulate the fabric a little so that the stitching stays where I want it.

I always use a ruler to quilt diagonal lines unless they are short runs (upto 4") along a piecing line as I find diagonals harder - even with well adjusted wheels - I can't draw diagonals all that well either.

Best wishes

sue in Australia

• 3 months later...

Darlene - Thank you so much for the lessons here on SID. I'm still learning to do this. I never thought of the blacklight thing, but I'm going to give it a whirl. I have a wedding ring table runner that I want to SID on but I haven't put it on my machine because I am not very good with SID.

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR SHARING ALL THIS INFORMATION WITH US!!

Archived