New to posting AND to George

Mrs.A

Hi all:

My George is a week old and I\'ve never used a forum like this one but I have a George question for other owners...When I use the needle down button, sometimes I get 1/2 a stitch like I want but sometimes I get a full stitch or one and a half. Also, just tonight, I\'m getting an extra stitch or two after I take my foot off the gas. Any advice for me would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mrs. A,

Two things can be causing your extra stitches. First, if you happen to hold the needle up/down button in just a bit too long, the machine will cycle through a whole stitch. The needle positioner is designed to cycle to an "up" position or a "down" position with each tap of the button, almost like a "half stitch". Try a very quick tap on the button, and see if that stops the extra stitch you\'re getting.

You can begin with the needle up or down before you start quilting. Once you push the pedal the motor will start. When you take your foot "off the gas" then the machine will cycle to the needle position you started with. If you began needle down, it will end needle down, and vice versa.

However, if you\'ve taken your foot off the pedal and the machine takes more than one complete stitch, the needle positioner may need adjusting. This is common as the machine goes through a "break in" period. Consult your George Manual and review the section on "Adjusting the Needle Positioner." It isn\'t a hard adjustment, but let us know if you need more help!

Welcome to the forum!

Originally posted by DawnCavanaugh

Mrs. A,

Two things can be causing your extra stitches. First, if you happen to hold the needle up/down button in just a bit too long, the machine will cycle through a whole stitch. The needle positioner is designed to cycle to an "up" position or a "down" position with each tap of the button, almost like a "half stitch". Try a very quick tap on the button, and see if that stops the extra stitch you\'re getting.

You can begin with the needle up or down before you start quilting. Once you push the pedal the motor will start. When you take your foot "off the gas" then the machine will cycle to the needle position you started with. If you began needle down, it will end needle down, and vice versa.

However, if you\'ve taken your foot off the pedal and the machine takes more than one complete stitch, the needle positioner may need adjusting. This is common as the machine goes through a "break in" period. Consult your George Manual and review the section on "Adjusting the Needle Positioner." It isn\'t a hard adjustment, but let us know if you need more help!

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks so much to those of you who welcomed me into the wonderful world of apqs. And special thanks to Dawn who may have solved my issue. This problem occurred only after I changed the position of the needle plate (raised to the level of the plastic insert by washers and longer screws that were not originally included in my George shipment but sent to me this week). I will revisit the DVD or manual about resetting the needle positioner and make an adjustment. Will report back on the results but thanks so much...I feel I\'m in good hands.

Welcome Mrs. A.

I DO have George and really like him. I just haven\'t gotten myself to get the other stuff (business) done and out of the way to play with him as much as I want/need to.

My George likes Superior King Tut thread. I have also used YLI Rainbows with good luck. I am not in a quilt for others business, just for myself and the baby quilts our ladies make. So far I\'ve done at least 5 quilts on him.

Archived