Sandy Darlington's visit this weekend

Yes, Sandy and while you are busy finishing your Alaska wallhangings for the show, why don\'t put the binding on your YBR quilt you did on my Milli while you were here visiting?? (while she was visiting, Sandy tried out my machine and quilted a pantograph on her quilt).

Can you share a picture of you and your pretty YBR quilt? ;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool photos of the Iditarod start! Yup...everyone breaks out their furs to show off during Fur Rondezvous. Thanks for sharing those photos, Sandy. You had nice weather down in Anchorage, too. I really like Dee Dee Jonrowe\'s "PINK" parka. Too fun. Go Dee Dee!

PS: I just logged into the race statistics. As of Tuesday night, Dee Dee is currently #13, my friend Ray Reddington Jr. is #14 and Lance Mackey is NUMERO UNO again! Go Lance!!!!!!!!!!!!! (those of you who may not know, Lance just finished winning the Yukon Quest a few weeks ago == another 1000 mile race from Fairbanks to Whitehorse) He also won last year\'s Yukon Quest, and won last year\'s Iditarod... he might win this year\'s Iditarod, too... That is a double back to back win for both races two years straight. And if he does it, this surely is something for the record books and the history books. He has a great dog team...that\'s all there is to say. That guy is INSANE! :cool:

Here\'s a link to the latest Iditarod stats, those of you who may be interested:

http://www.iditarod.com/

Nice photos! Sandra - pretty quilt - something to keep you warm

on your trip!!

Shana - love all the windows in your quilting room - nice on a

sunny day I bet!! And thanks for posting the link for the race -

good info. to know.

Sandy – LOVE those pictures of the ceremonial start of the Iditarod in Anchorage! And the guy in his furs….makes me think of Fur Rondezvous – the winter festival held in February in Anchorage. Sled dog races then, too…nothing like the Iditarod or Yukon Quest….the World Championship races are just 25 miles each day for 3 days. George Attla (the Hooslia Hustler) and Doc Roland Lombard were the ones to beat back when I was a kid. Man, that was a looong time ago! Ok…yup, I’m really homesick now!

The Quilt Tree! That’s my favorite quilt shop! Glad you found it while you were there!

Junebug – no, my daughter isn’t a quilter (yet). I’m still holding out hope for her, though, for when she has a little more time. She has three little kids, plus she’s a daycare provider for four more, so she’s pretty much got her hands full right now.

Linda R - I love the “Blanket Toss” wall hanging! Nice job on the quilting! I made one three or so years ago and it’s hanging right here on my wall.......I did a little bit of bead and fur embellishment. Here’s a picture of it: (I hope)

post--13461899328692_thumb.jpg

Sherry,

Oh I love the beads and the fur that you added to the girls\' mukluks! Too cute!! :D It looks like you added fur to the end of the bead necklace... like it\'s an amulet pouch or just fur at the end of the beads? It\'s so cute. Nice McTavishing, too! I actually have a little Alaska native amulet pouch necklace made with fur and it has little beads on it, too. It\'s adorable, I think! So cute.

I remember watching George Attla and Doc Lombard run the race back in the 70\'s. Oh and would you believe that I work with George Attla\'s daughter in law? She and her husband are from Huslia, but have moved to "town" now.... :)

Carol J. (junebug_one) - I am still not decided, although I think I am swaying back towards the Liberty. I loved Shana\'s Millenium, but it is really much larger than I think I need. I have a small space to put a machine, will need to get the frame cut to no longer than 11 feet, plus the Liberty has a smaller footprint from front to back of the frame. But, since I\'m still saving, I may again change my mind. I want to play on them side by side again at a show.

Sherri - I love your version of the Blanket Toss, too. The beads and fur are a wonderful addition to an already adorable quilt. Oh, and your quilting looks great, too.

Judi - Thanks for the compliment on my quilt. I bought the pack of 20 fat quarters at a quilt show, oh, maybe 2 years ago. When Shana offered to let me try her Millenium, I whipped up the Yellow Brick Road quilt the weekend before I left for Alaska. I knew that a panto would look good on it, vs needing a custom job, and that was the only way I felt I could have instant success with such a large machine. And, thanks to Shana\'s guidance (and her help frogging a row of the first panto out), it turned out rather nice.

The race for first is super close between Lance Mackey and Jeff King. At midnight tonight (I had to stay up) Lance is on his way from Safety to Nome; just 22 more miles to go!

That means he has won the Yukon Quest and Iditarod in 2007 and won the Yukon Quest and Iditarod in 2008. Both races are over 1000 miles long and are only a few short weeks between the end of the Quest and start of the Iditarod. Hardly any rest for that guy. He has an amazing dog team. He is an amazing guy.

This two year winning streak for grabbing both races back to back is remarkable; it\'s never been done. It really is history in the making! :)

Along with Dee Dee Jonrowe, Lance Mackey is also a cancer survivor. Maybe that is where he finds his inner strength? I don\'t know but all I can say is wow...the things a human can do if he puts his mind to it. I gotta go to sleep cuz I have to be at work tomorrow. If all goes well, he should make it to Nome about 2:00 AM Wednesday.

Here\'s a great article written about the race between Mackey & King: http://iditarodblogs.com/news/2008/03/12/double-trouble-mackey-wins-again/

Here\'s the web site for great photos and more info, if anyone\'s interested. I am super impressed with the photos, videos and stories on this site. Whoever managed this web page; it\'s awesome!

http://www.iditarod.com/

Hi Shana,

Yep, I\'ve been following the race, too. It\'s now 6:30AM on Wednesday (2:30AM in Alaska) and I can\'t find the race results yet. It is killing me to not know before I leave for work this morning. Perhaps I can sneak a quick look-see while I\'m at work. Lance is incredible, but so is Jeff King and all the other mushers who are working their butts off to get to Nome. They have such amazing strength (both physical and mental/emotional) and ability. They are my "super heros."

Sandy

Archived