Sandy Darlington's visit this weekend

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judi-

The panels are printed on the fabric in lots of color. They are kind of funny, comical designs. The one is a woman sitting in a bathtub with lots of Alaskan memorabilia on the walls and around the room. The other one is a group of Eskimos wearing their beautiful kuspiks standing around lots of bolts of fabric in a fabric shop. It "hit home" so I had to purchase that one, too.

Sandy

Shana,

If you want to post the pictures of my quilt on your Millenium, go ahead and do so. I won\'t have a chance to do that for awhile yet.

Sandy

PS: In case others are wondering about this....I brought a top, back and batting to Shana\'s and she put it on her Millenium so I could get a better idea of the machine I want. I have been going back and forth between a Liberty, Millenium and Freedom. Shana gave me a great opportunity to spend time on her machine to test drive it.

I wonder if this is like one of the panels that Sandy bought? I got it at the Quilt Tree in Anchorage - the binding is not quite hemmed. Mine is pretty small - the whole quilt, including borders, is only 15"x21".

I hope this works...I don\'t post often and this is my first attempt at posting a picture.....Keeping my fingers crossed that it posts small. Anyway, here goes:

What beautiful photo\'s of two beautiful people. It looks like you are having a wonderful time.

An ice hotel, Wow! A lot of talent and planning went in to creating something like that. Really looks elegant.

I am so happy to see you are enjoying your Alaska vacation again this year , Sandy. Isn\'t it great that ever trip is a different adventure. It makes me lonesome for Home.

Some of my GrandChildren will be at the start of the Iditarod.

They live close by, so they are there every year.

I miss being able to go to the wonderful quilt shops up there. I can\'t wait to see your treasures.

So, what machine did you decide on?

I looking forward to the next report. Thanks for the photos, Shandra, You makes us feel like like we are there with you.

Carolj.

That\'s it! Kuspuks by the yard. Barbara Lavallee\'s trademark is the half light/half dark shadow down the middle of the face. She creates many designs on fabric, she paints, she does post cards, calendars with her art.

Here\'s a nice site that shows many of the things she\'s done. http://www.artshopgallery.com/Barbara%20Lavallee.htm

Scroll down to see everything. That lady is busy! :)

Oh and Sherri, you did a beautiful job quilting that piece! I like how you did the Mctavishing on the top area and the pebbles on the bottom area. Thanks for sharing.

Shana

Hey! I thought I recognized that artist. My mom writes children\'s books and Barbara Lavallee illustrated two of her books. They are: All You Need for a Snowman and All You Need for a Beach, both by Alice Schertle.

Check these out:

http://www.amazon.com/All-Need-Snowman-Alice-Schertle/dp/0152061150/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204303466&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/104-5224598-1689534?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=All+You+Need+for+a+Beach&x=12&y=18

Oh, yay! It worked!

I love the artistry of Barbara Lavallee. It’s so colorful and full of whimsy! This last time up I bought a couple of her applique patterns, too.

I grew up in Anchorage, lived in Fairbanks for a couple years, Eagle River for a few and my daughter still lives in Wasilla....so I have collected a few pieces of Alaskan Native art, made several Native-inspired quilts and wallhangings and I have all kinds of things in my house that remind me of Alaska. It\'s an incredible, wonderfully diverse, massive state.

After living there nearly 30 years, I (reluctantly) moved Outside - but with grandbabies to visit, I go back fairly often. And, of course, I always take a day to hit the quilt shops while I\'m there!

As a matter of fact, after seeing Shana\'s "tour guide" pictures with Sandy - I\'m getting a little homesick. I\'m thinking it\'s time for another trip north! :)

Jen, I didn\'t know you mom writes and publishes children\'s books! Yes, Barbara is also an illustrator. That woman is amazing...

Sherri, it\'s a small world, isn\'t it? :D I agree with you about our wonderful quilt shops in Alaska: they rival with the best of them, I think!

Hey, I will be at MQS this year for the entire week; i arrive Saturday and leave the next Saturday. Perhaps I will get to meet you then?

Sherri, it\'s a small world, isn\'t it? :D Hey, I will be at MQS this year for the entire week; i arrive Saturday and leave the next Saturday. Perhaps I will get to meet you then?

Shana-

Small world, indeed! And I\'d LOVE to meet you at MQS! I only live like 10 minutes from the convention center so I\'m sure to be around most of the week. And....it\'s not that far off! woo-hoo!

You did a wonderful job quilting that cute panel. Love the borders.

Isn\'t this artist great? She is prolific and you can find prints, posters, and cards but I have never seen her on fabric. Wow! My sis owns two limited editions--one a ferry scene and one of Seattle\'s Pike Place market. Her work is always cheerful and bright--love \'em.

Originally posted by seakitten

Gorgeous, all of it -- the scenery, the art, the quilters, even the ice hotel. Thanks for sharing.

BUT WAIT -- before you leave Shana, you never answered the crucial question: how do you drink out of an ice Martini glass, without getting your tongue stuck?

Ooops! Sorry that slipped past me. Drinking from the "made of ice" martini glass was not a problem. I think maybe the temperature in the room, or the temperature of the ice of the "glass" was just right...not too cold to be sticky and therefore, no frozen lips while sipping my coctail. It was really fun and enjoyable. :)

thanks for the answer on the glass, I have been checking the

post..... Oh - Love the photo of the artists work on that panel,

and yes - the quilting is great too! I will have to check into her

work, thanks for posting a link Shana!!:)

Shana and Sandra...what great fun!! We have snow here too, but nary a hot springs or ice bar in sight! Makes me want to visit Alaska in the winter--and I\'ve only ever considered it a summer destination in the past. You live in a beautiful place!!

Hi there Sherri,

Great to here from another Alaskan. I grew up in Wasilla and still have grandkids, a sis and lots of relatives up there.

Is your DD a quilter, too? If she is I bet she knows my Sis-in law\'s, who are also big time quilter.

Shana\'s pictures and Sandy talking about visiting the quilt shops really made my homesick. We only have Jo-ann\'s here in our little town.

I\'m thinking I need a trip home, too.

Carolj.

Hi everyone,

Well, I\'m home in Philadelphia as of about 5:00 PM today (Monday).

Sherri,

Yes! That is one of the panels I bought. I love the way you quilted it. It looks perfect. The other one is called, "Time Out." That is the bathtub scene. I bought my panels at the Quilted Raven, but I also saw them at the Quilt Tree.

At the Quilt Tree, I bought a pattern called "Orca." It is by Lisa Moore. I saw this one at a quilt shop in Fairbanks that Shana took me to, but I was so busy looking at all the beautiful quilts on display, I forgot to buy it. So, when I saw it in Anchorage, I bought it right away.

Jen: That is so cool that your mother writes children\'s books and that Barbara L. illustrated some of them.

Last year I bought a kit called "The Blanket Toss" while I was in the Quilted Raven. It looks like Barbara L\'s style, but it is by Mount Redoubt Designs. I never finished this one, but I guess I better get it done this year.

Well, I have to say that I missed reading how everyone was doing, since my internet accessibility was rather limited. I will share some pictures later this week. Right now, I need to get ready for bed and get organized for work tomorrow.

Huggs to you all,

Sandy

PS: My lips did not stick to the ice Appletini glass. :) Yum - it was delish!

Yep, Linda, that\'s the one. It certainly looks great finished. I love the quilting and it is giving me incentive to finish mine.

In October, my quilt guild is having their quilt show and I think I will finish my "Alaska" wall hangings (and probably a few other pieces) and hang them up for the show. I can have my own Alaska section:)

Archived