How should I quilt this?

Help! I have this simple quilt top, with machine embroidery in the 2 center blocks. I need your suggestions on how to quilt this. I need it to be easy and simple, so I do not have to charge too much. I enjoy doing pantographs, but do I quilt over the embroidery? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Dayna

post--13461899372714_thumb.jpg

Dayna,

I see the close up on this but is there a theme? You can surely do an panto on it and just from looking at it I don\'t think it would interfer too much with teh embroidery. Of course you could do you panto around the embroidery. I am more comfortable just doing a free-motion. Depending on whether this is for a boy or girl I\'d pick some simple edge to edge design.

You can quilt over the embroidery and it won\'t hurt a thing. If you are not charging much, that would be the only way to go. Otherwise, you are going to be doing SID or special quilting in each block...that would cost more...You can do it...let us see pictures when it\'s done.

Heidi, it is a high school graduation quilt, for either male or female. It has the name of the high school and a lion\'s face above the word "Lions." I may be doing more if some others like it and place an order. Thanks for your help!

Dayna

I have requests to quilt over embroideries using pantos all of the time. Just make sure that the panto design you choose is a very open type design or what I like to call a low desnsity design if you go with a heavier density panto you will run into some problems. Also make sure you put in a fresh needle on your long arm because any needle that may have a burr may snag the thread of the embroidry.

Good luck. Oh and one more thing make sure you don\'t use a contrasting thread use a neutral one in this case the neutral would be the exact match of the yellow fabric.

Thread color on top and bottom for me always comes down to two things.

#1 the batting choice. A thin batt, like Warm and Natural, gives little space to make a stitch. If your tension is not perfect, then you make pull the top or bottom thread to the other side exposing the other color. It is safer to do the same color.

#2 What color is the back going to be? If the back is blue then yellow thread top and bottom may be OK but it will definitely show every stop and start....don\'t run out of bobbin thread. :P

As far as a pattern, Jodi Beamish has a panto named Cat\'s Paw that could be used as a lions paw print. It\'s boy/girl non-specific.

If you are not comfortable quilting thru the embroidery, quilt the panto as normal until you get to the row with the embroidery. Then roller your machine over to the location of the embroidery blocker and put down a piece of painters tape on your table so you remember to look up or quilt around the embroidery. Of course, you will still want ot stabilize the embroidered block with some kind of quilting.

post--13461899376078_thumb.gif

Archived