• 6 months later...

I once used a sheet supplied by the quilt maker for the back of her quilt. She had washed the sheet once or twice, but I found it to be still quite stiff. I washed it once more. It would have benefitted from more washings, but it worked out just fine for machine quilting.

If I knew I was getting another sheet to use as backing, I agree with the posts above and would ask that the sheet be washed multiple times before it comes to me. Then I would use it without worry.

Linda/9patch

Somewhere along the way I was told not to use sheets for backing. The close thread count can cause your needel to break the thread instead of going between. When the finished quilt is washed you get "fuzzys" around the stitch. Don't know if this is true if you used a new needle but it makes a good story. I just tell customers I don't use sheets and give them this story and it works. That way I don't have to work with sheets. Haven't lost a customer yet because of not useing sheets for backing.

I have had several customers use sheets for backing and only had problems with one of them. It was a very high thread count and it kept skipping stitches. Which meant ripping out and re-quilting. But then a lot of the quilts I get are hand me down tops that never got finished and the person with it now doesn't sew or have any fabric knowledge, and they go the quick and easy route...sheets. Most of the time they work just fine even without repeated washings.

With the sheets or any other thing you've heard, you should try it for yourself and then you can tell your customers facts. Some of the better sheets make great backings!

I prefer not to work with sheets because they're harder to square up. Takes lots of folding and careful cutting whereas with the wide backing fabrics, I tear them and know they are straight. If a customer bring a sheet that isn't square, I will square it up but there's a fee for doing so.

While talking about backings, there are some really cheap and flimsy wide backing fabrics out there too. I've had few lately that I think I would have preferred working with a sheet.

Another thing to remember . . if you're trying to get business and you will not use a sheet for a backing and the longarmer down the street will, you're going to lose a customer if they have their mind set on using a sheet. And, if they've used sheets before and have not had problems, no amount of coaxing is going to convince them that the quilt fabric backings are better.

Do I use sheets on backings for my own quilts? No! Will I quilt using a sheet for a backing if a customer brings it? Yes.

Archived