Oursmall group of quilting friends wants to do a Mystery Quilt

I have been searching books and online for a pattern that will be fun to do. But I can\'t find anything. I\'m wondering if any of you have a suggestion!

I wanted something unexpected (hence the mystery LOL) I have Judy Sisneros\' new book Rectangle Pizzazz and thought maybe I could create a mystery quilt out of One of the patterns

Anyway I would love a suggestion Please!:)

How many are in your group?

We have a casual group of Guild-mates--6 of us--who did a fun thing last year.

We decided on a size and theme for blocks to swap--just like the Christmas exchange Teresa has organized.

Our theme was stars (easy!) and each person made six of the same stars-one for each person and one for herself.

The twist was each person decided on color choices and provided everyone else with a good-size piece of one focus fabric. I chose tones of yellow/gold for my stars and provided a dark blue fabric to use as a background. The others were to take fabric from their stash to piece the blocks.

Someone went batik-y, country, Christmas, all-white background and jewel tones, etc. So you received 5 blocks, all different but with the same background fabric.

We had the best time deciding on settings and I quilted them all as my Christmas gift to my buddies.

I made a square wallhanging, one made two tablerunners, one added enough other star blocks to make a bed throw, the Christmas one was made into an octagon and I thread-painted a poinsettia in the middle. Sorry, I am getting carried away here!!

Anyway, this was easy to organize, easy to sew--I think we all ended up paper-piecing the stars--and fun to quilt. We "hung together" at our Guild Quilt show last year.

I can send you a procedure sheet for this swap if you are interested. Maybe I can find a photo of our projects. In any case, the goal is to have fun and make something beautiful.

I have gone to many mystery classes and the instructor has used patterns from magazines and books. She just copies the pattern directions and cuts the steps apart. We do a few of each step and then we get to eat, which is always a good thing and then we are shown what it looks like. The class goes from 11:00 - 6:00. We have to buy the magazine or book if we do not own it.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Charlotte

Archived