grease on fabric

Oh oh!

Luckily it is my own quilt but STILL!!

I was just finishing a quilt when I noticed three little spots of black grease on the top fabric.

Questions - how did it get on the top of the quilt, and how do I clean differently so that doesn\'t happen again?

Thanks to the APQS community for any help in this.

Sylvia

:o

Hi Sylvia - I\'m so sorry to hear about the grease. What kind of machine do you have? And how new is it? Do you still have your DVD & manual? Check in there as to how much to oil it and how often. When mine was new, I had black grease around the bobbin area and had to keep wipping that off and I guess that is pretty normal. But it stopped after a couple of weeks. Could your top have somehow gotten into the bobbin area? Do you have anything else around the table that may have had grease on it? Maybe you may have to just do a really good cleaning job. At first I over oiled my machine. Now, if I over oil it, I do get oil on my needle bar. So I only put oil on the wicks after about every 8 hrs of run time. I know that the APQS staff can probably answer your questions better than I, but that\'s what I do.

I have used the machanic\'s waterless hand cleaner "gojo" (non-gritty style) to get grease stains out of clothing. Just smear it on, and wash with warm water. That has worked even on grease stains that have gone through the dryer previously. You may also be able to get it off with hand washing the area with the gojo and then regular laundry detergent of your choice. Good luck.

I had a similar experience. I couldn\'t imagine where grease like that could have come from. Later I discovered it was from the area behind and below the bobbin. There is a place there which is supposed to have a small round black plastic cap glued over the place that the grease seeps out. I talked to someone at APQS and they sent me a cap which I glued in place and no problem since then.

post--13461899519487_thumb.jpg

Hi Sylvia! I had that happen too. It was from the bottom of my hopper foot!:mad: So, I now, take a paper towel or cloth and slide it under the foot and wipe it before I start. Not sure how it gets there. Maybe I am over oiling. I am a newbie.... are the wicks supposed to be bone dry before you oil them? this is hard for me to know when to do that! thanks for any info on this! linda

Hi Sylvia! I had that happen too. It was from the bottom of my hopper foot!:mad: So, I now, take a paper towel or cloth and slide it under the foot and wipe it before I start. Not sure how it gets there. Maybe I am over oiling. I am a newbie.... are the wicks supposed to be bone dry before you oil them? this is hard for me to know when to do that! thanks for any info on this! linda

Archived