The rest of the story.. Kleenex alert!

Yesterday was Memorial day, a time to honor the men and women who died for our country. After sitting with my Navy nurse DIL yesterday and sharing a pitcher of homemade sangria, thinking about those we had loved and lost (my DH, among others) to wartime, she told me some more stories about our beloved quilts. Get your kleenex for this one. One of the boys she was taking care of had been left on a door step with his twin brother as infants. This was in one of the Asian countries. They were put in an orphanage where his brother died about a year later. He was adopted to this country, but apparently for whatever reason was put into the foster care system, had many horrible things happen, and joined the USMC at 18 years old. There he was, lying in a bed with nothing left but his torso and one arm. And you know what? He was so grateful. He has a 3 month old little girl that he has not seen yet and he was grateful that he had an arm to hold her with. He also had a quilt.

She also told me something else. She said she had to literally FIGHT for clean sheets, and for blankets for those boys. She said sometimes all they had was their quilt. Apparently the powers that be do not see fit to provide enough sheets to change the 73 beds at the hospital when these guys come in with horrible wounds. Many times she needed to change the sheets hourly, but there weren\'t any. What would it take to make sure there were a couple hundred sets of sheets on hand. No pillows either, so they would have to scramble to find something to prop up a leg or an arm. She said sometimes our beautiful quilts HAVE to be thrown away when the boys get med evac\'d out as the wounds seep so badly the quilts cannot be salvaged. I am ok with that. At least they have them when they need something so desperately. There aren\'t any washers available for the staff to use, and they don\'t have the time. They only have these guys for 3 days before they are transported to Bethesda. It is a critical, literal life and death 3 days for them.

One of the male medics she was working in has been in the army for 4 years, due to the extensions the army put on their medics. He has had FOUR tours in Iraq because of the shortage of medics. He is completely exhausted and depleted. I am getting his address, and he will be getting a quilt from me as a thank you for his stupendous service to these guys. All of the medics deserve medals for what they do. I can\'t give them a medal, but I can give them a quilt.

I won\'t tell any more stories. Needless to say, I did not sleep well last night. I am more resolved than ever to do whatever I can to help. Thanks to all of you that volunteered also. I know your service to our military men and women will be appreciated.

Nancy Jo Smith

Navy Mom, aunt and sister

Nancy Jo,

I can just barely see to type this because of the tears.

A co-worker had a daughter and SIL sent to Iraq. Her daughter was severly injured when the vehicle she was driving rolled over. She received a quilt at Bethseda and another when she finally made it home to Washington State. Her mom (my friend) was very touched when she first saw her daughter cuddled in her patriotic quilt. She didn\'t realize the "army" of quilters out there who provide these thank-you quilts.

Thank you Nancy for sharing the stories.

Nancy Jo,

There are so many stories like this. I\'m glad the quilts bring them comfort. Hubby was telling me about a show he was watching the other day and there was a soldier that was being interviewed and he was saying how lucky he was that he only lost his left arm because he was right handed and he still had use of his right hand and how there were so many others that were less fortunate. Then after this whole discussion he rolled away from the table and he was a double amputee...yet he thought he was so lucky! For any of you who are aware of situations like Nancy Jo describes in your area, please write or call your congressman and make them held accountable! Sometimes it just takes us getting involved to get them the attention and resources they need! None of our men or woman who sacrifice should have to come home to not having outstanding care!

Nancy sweet heart. You have just enlightened my reason for signing up. I am so excited to receive my first quilt top to quilt for QOV, that I can hardly wait! If i get caught up on the 7 tops I have, and I dont receive a top to quilt thru QOV, then my dear..im making one myself!

Hugs,

Carol, I asked DIL and she said she does not know how we could send sheets. She said the medical facility is completely overwhelmed and they did not expect to receive what they are receiving. That might have been true years ago when everything first started, but not now. The military needs to buck it up and send more sheets, blankets and pillows. So what if some of them go out with the injured being shipped stateside. Replace them. If we can pay $600 for a hammer, we can certainly pay for sheets and blankets. I think the main way you could help would be to contact your congressman or senator and let them know we want more for our injured troops. This is off the top of my head, but if they knew about this, I would bet they would take action. I don\'t know what else to do except keep on quilting.

Nancy

Archived