Tension question

I\'m having a difficult time finding the right tension using Bottom Line thread - in the bobbin and on top. I have the upper tension VERY loose, and the bobbin thread is "laying" on the fabric (which I would expect). But, when I tighten the upper tension, even slightly, the bobbin thread pulls through to the top. I\'m using two colors, so this a problem. It seems to be better if I slow down, but I\'m doing some McTavishing, and that\'s hard to do at a slow speed. Have I just not found the "right" combo -- or is there a tip that will help? THANKS!!

I wonder as it is such thin thread top & bottom whether you should try a 3.5 needle instead of the usual 4.0? If you have fiddled about with the top tension then think about adjusting the bobbin... have you looked at the tips on Superior\'s website?

I expect lots of other experts will chip in soon... I\'m a few hours ahead of you!

LINZI x

I probably should have mentioned that I\'m using pre-wound Bottom Line on the plastic spools. I\'m running them at about 20 on the Towa gauge, with the backlash spring in place. The top thread, also Bottom Line, is the small spool -- spinning off the horizontal spindle above the tensioner and running through only two of the three holes. Thanks for any suggestions. I\'ve tried everything I can think of -- but I must be missing something.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have talked to Superior, and they suggested the problem may be the plastic bobbins. I\'ve used them many times before -- but maybe not with BL as the top thread as well -- I can\'t remember. ;)I\'ve ordered paper sided bobbins, and we\'ll see if that resolves the problem. It always surprises me that no matter how long you\'ve been doing this -- problems just pop-up sometimes.

Archived