Quilting straight lines

To the Experts!!

I have been quilting a year or so and love doing freehand quilting and pantos. My problem is using the ruler for straight line work. I am not sure what I am doing wrong but every time I try it the hopper foot jumps on my acrylic ruler. I get discouraged and quit plus I don\'t want it to hurt my machine. Is there a trick to this that I just haven\'t figured out?

Tina

Are you using a ruler designed for LA quilting? If you try to use the thinner rulers designed for rotary cutting work, the hopping foot will eat \'em every time!:P

If you are using the proper ruler and an extended base, be sure you\'re not quilting too far along the ruler - you have to either stop and move the ruler - or get really good and move it while you quilt! I haven\'t mastered that one yet and have the chips in my ruler to prove it.....:(

Hello WV!

Thanks so much for your replies. Yes I am using the base extender and yes I am using a ruler, actually several different ones, that are designed for LA quilting. Maybe I am pressing too hard...I also have some problems with the machine and table vibrating. I have gotten used to it but maybe it should be more steady. Is yours?

I really need to get out more and take some classes:D:D

A teacher at MQS said that your fingers need to be on your ruler at the same place the needle is...so...you don\'t have your hand in front or behind the place you are trying to quilt, but at the same place.

I don\'t have vibration. What machine do you have. Is everything tight, level, yada-yada??

Tina no I don\'t have vibration but I also don\'t own an APQS machine. I painted, lightly, rubber cement on the bottom of the ruler so I don\'t have to press hard. OR use dots of sandpaper (lt. grade). I\'m in Parkersburg and been quilting about 2yrs.

have you checked the high of your hoping foot?

don\'t press the ruler against the hoping foot and only move the ruler when your not moving the needle. For the beginning do only a handspan of length when you stitch.

I am normaly right handed, but I found out that when I hold the ruler with my right hand and move the machine with my left hand, it worked better. Until I got used to it.

Cheers

Tina,

Do you remember when you first learned to use a rotary cutter? Your first instinct was to push against the ruler with the cutter, rather than using the ruler as a guide to skim teh cutter against, RIGHT? I know that was me and almost everybody I\'ve talked to .

Using the ruler with the longarm is the same. You don\'t actually push the foot up against the ruler hard, you just kind of rub the edge of the ruler gently with the foot. If you try to push up against the ruler your foot will jump up onto the ruler and break the ruler.Ask me how I learned this. I have about 7 or 8 broken rulers, even my favorite add a quarter ruler. I\'ve learned now to not smash the foot against the ruler, template, mason jar lid, or whatever I\'m quilting around.

Hi Tina,

I\'ve posted some pictures on my website that may help you out.

http://www.trilliumhousedesigns.com/LongarmMachineQuiltingTips%20\'nTricks.htm

If your table is vibrating, it shouldn\'t! Make sure you have all 4 legs firmly on the floor. I just moved one of my machines, and had to lower one leg quite a bit. I\'m on a concrete floor covered with vinyl. Obviously the floor is NOT level!

Hope that helps. ;)

Archived