I have a customer quilt that I need help with. This quilt came to me via my best friend\'s husband, he has a client who\'s spouse\'s mother pieced together a denim top using her children\'s old jeans. I guess she was working as she went along because there is no rhyme or reason to the colors of denim or sizes of the blocks. Everything is really wonky and so far off from flat!.

I have it trimmed down to 105 x 113. (The scraps that were trimmed off will be made into throw quilts.) I have pieced together flannel to make the backing and it\'s all loaded up on my frame. I\'m about to take the plunge and begin quilting.

The quilt top itself weighs a ton so I am not going to include any batting I am wondering if this is a mistake though. If I should include batting what kind would work best?

Has anyone had experience with this? I\'m going to use King Tut on the top and bottom line in the bobbin along with a generously sized needle to handle the chunky seams

Judy....the only commission quilt that I have ever done was a denim one and yes it did need a batting, so I used a very thin poly batt because the backing was flannel....Man it did weigh a ton, but without the batting you could feel EVERY bump and seam...once the batting was there it wasn\'t as bad.

It was a cute quilt when done...she only wanted me to use the leg parts of the jeans, except for one side pocket and one back pocket...she wanted placed for her hubby to put the remotes while he was sleeping.

In My Very PRE Quilting days, I made a picnic quilt using Good parts of the old twill work uniforms, front and back, with terry clothe bathtowels in side... I didn\'t know there was such a thing as batting and just sewed some chunks together, thru all 3 layers, added some more, etc.. on my dsm.. I think we sill have it. It only weighed 14 pounds.. I made it in 1967,,, only srestitched a few places, used the old icky satin blanket binding.. what did I know.. lolol...

Good Luck..

RitaR

because of the disparity in the weight of the top (denim) and the back (flannel) the quilt will not wear the same. You may want to reconsider flannel as the weave is so loose and move to a regular woven. Anything will feel soft compared to denim.) The flannel will wear out more quickly because of the disparity (the flannel can shift and the denim is rigid. A quilt this heavy is one way to keep small children in bed at night...they can\'t move once they are under the quilt.

Of course, none of this is your problem if it what the customer wanted. However, when the flannel wears out quickly the customer will be unhappy because of the price she paid you to quilt it and blame you, even though it was her fabric choice.

Judy, if it were me I would use a lightweight batt. I know, it doesn\'t make sense to make the quilt any heavier than it already is.....but Bonnie makes a great point about being able to feel the seams of the denim through the backing.

I think a low-loft poly batt might be a good idea - no shrinkage, not too poofy but will lend some stability to the whole quilt without adding too much weight.

I\'d probably use a 5.0 needle - sounds really big, but you may need it if you\'re going to be sewing over those thick seams.......

Best of luck - let us know how it goes.

I made a denim quilt out of oodles of pairs of old blue jeans. It was the second practice quilt I did on my Liberty. It is about the size of a twin bed quilt, although a bit wider than most. I pieced 6" squares together and it took about 3 years for me to collect enough discarded jeans to make it. I used a thin cotton batting that I pre-shrunk. The backing was flannel that was also pre-washed and dried. It weighs a ton! My only problem was that I could not turn the screw to raise my hopping foot. I really had to guide/push the fabric under the hopping foot. I used a 4.0 needle because that was the only size I had. I quilted a fist size meander all over it, and avoided the intersections. It looks OK, but it sure isn\'t great. It is what it is - a true utility quilt.

We will use it on car camping trips. I may suggest my daughter keeps it in her car during the winter so there is something warm available in case she has car trouble and the kids are in the car with her. It is not something I would use on my bed.

I\'ll try to attach a picture in a minute...if I can lift the sucker:)

post--13461899835178_thumb.jpg

As I look at this picture, it really looks ugly. If you look at it like the rings of a tree that has been cut down, you can see what jeans we discarded each year. LOL. I sewed the rows together as soon as I had enough squares to make a row, so there wasn\'t a rhyme or reason or any planning for the placement of the shades of the denim. It just happened. Oh, and the borders are flannel, too.

The borders were from leftovers from another quilt project a few years ago and the backing was donated to me by a friend who had no idea why she ever bought it in the first place. She offered it to me so I could help her downsize her uglies. What a friend:)

Judy,

Do you do commission quilts? I had a call from a girl in Scottsdale the other day that wanted a custom baby quilt made but I dont know how to do much piecing and I didnt have anyone to send her to...just wondering if that is something you offer so I have a referral in the future. :)

-Jessica

Archived