Please help! How to quilt?

Hello! I would love to hear how you would quilt this baby quilt that I am making...and what thread you would use.

I would like to do something different from an overall pattern, so I would like to 'honor' the lines of the piecing, for a change.

I also would like to have the actual thread be not quite so prominent as it usually is with the variegated thread that I love (too much) to use. Do you think this means that I need to use one type of thread on the lights and another on the darks?

I'm thinking that I would like to enhance the square in a square effect of the blocks rather than the pinwheels, but I'm up for suggestions.

I'm new at attachments, so if you don't see a photo of the quilt anywhere around, I goofed! I will try again though!

Thanks. Linda/9patch

post--13461897675466_thumb.jpg

Guest Linda S

Linda - I like this very colorful quilt. Since it is fairly busy, intricate quilting of the blocks may get a little lost. You might do a flower of geometric design in each of the blocks and something different for the pinwheels, maybe some SID, but that would be a lot of work. I think I would be inclined to use a thin, neutral colored thread like Bottom Line 620 on this, or even a mono like MonoPoly. That would let the quilt colors sing on their own and not show the thread up that much. I have to admit that I would be inclined to do an all-over and let the piecing speak for itself.

Linda

I don't agree about it being too busy to custom quilt. Here is my pennies worth....since you said you would "like to enhance the square in a square effect of the blocks rather than the pinwheels", I think that is exactly what you should do. I would SID around the pieced square as one block and use a flowery design weaving all around THOSE blocks to define them....maybe a wavy pinwheel sort of thing inside of the outlined blocks (starting from the center)and as far as thread goes. Maybe a medium blue because there is so much blue and it will pull it all together. If you use a thinner thread like so fine, any errors are minimized and the colors of your quilt will not be overwhelmed. Good luck

Diana

Thanks for your suggestions. I will ponder (oh, boy, will I!!!) as I finish piecing this. It does get a narrow solid border then pieced border then a solid edge border.

I know how long it takes me to decide how to quilt something which is why I started asking before I have it finished! I don't want to be twiddling my thumbs with this!

I really appreciate your thread suggestions should I decide to do an all over pattern.

Sorry my picture made it hard to read these posts. I will do better next time. :-)

Linda/9patch

My first thought was a line dancing treatment.

Perhaps with a fine golden colored thread.

(The gold colored thread idea is probably influenced

by my purchase of a cone of DMC thread this weekend at PIQF)

Are you familiar with Diana Philips Line Dancing books?

She takes the concept of continous curve to a new level.

In case you are interested, this quilt appears in the June 2005 issue of Better Homes and Gardens' American Patchwork and Quilting. My friend chose it, and she and I bought the fabric together.

Thanks, all, for the help. I always get to the quilting part and freeze!

Norece, I like the idea of a spiral in the pinwheels!

Linda/9patch

Hi Linda,

Did you get your quilt done?

If not, an idea, do lines through each square (as in an x) or better yet a wavy lines , faster and looks great, gives a nice texture. You can end up doing your ditch work getting around the block. Work into the pinwheel. in them how about a nice swirl of some sort. you can treat the pinwheel as a 4 patch with your design or as half square triangles. Even as a whole block.

I like the quilt, it would be fun to work on.

Myrna

Hi,

No, the quilt is not finished. I am attaching the 'dogtooth' borders which requires what my husband calls 'field fitting' since I'm not making the quilt size that the directions call for. Wish me luck. I should be quilting soon, although I am considering ordering a thread for this project...still trying to avoid the variegated thread that is always my first choice.

Thanks for all your help.

Linda/9patch

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am delivering this quilt this afternoon. Luckily I remembered to take some pictures. I have reduced the size of them so I hope they don't blow out the website like the last ones did.

I am pleased with how the quilt turned out. I am, by no means, an expert, but I'm learning.

Thanks all who helped with their input. It was invaluable.

I went with natural colored thread in the body of the quilt, but used variegated in the borders.

The back of the quilt is pieced with fabric representing mom (teacher) and dad (excavator).

Thanks again.

Linda/9patch

post--13461897688049_thumb.jpg

Archived