Stencils -- If you could have 5-10 of them, which ones do you recommend?

Ann Henry,

A Dremel is a tool you can find in just about any hardware store.

Here is a picture:

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-Tools-Hardware/b?ie=UTF8&node=229122

They use bits much like a drill, so a jewelers bit is just that....a fine bit probably used by a jeweler.

The plastic material I speak of is plastic used to make templates, sold mostly at any stencil web site. Although some quilters get creative and use their noggin and come up with other things that work for this matterial too, such as plastic sheet covers from an office supply store.

I have to go back to your post to see what else I said that didn't make sense....I'll be right back :)

I don't know what a Dremel is. I don't know what a jewelers bit is. I don't know what a small collar is or what "plastic material" you are talking about. I have no clue.

Okay...the small collar is an attachment for the Dremel that allows you to use the jeweler's bit.

if you subscribe to the magazine, you will be able to read the article....maybe that will help you to visualize better what I am talking about.

I have a dremel I purchased at Harbor Freight tools for under $10 and comes with about 15 bits. I have never used it to make a stencil but have ingraved with it . NowI'll have to try it out. Some stencils are not marked with dots or slashes so you can't line up for repeating , on a boarder. I know it just hapened ,going around the corner took more time then it should have. I just took a K. McTavish class at Innovations and she said to always get them with a corner because you are most likely using them on a boarder and figuring out the corner is hard and time consuming.

Melora

I make My stencils with a Stencil cutter I purchased from a Art Store and Plastic. Works wonderful. I also have a stencil burner :D I have the blister to go along with that one. I think from now on I will use the stencil cutter. It has two blades that cut throught the plastic. I cut dotted line! :)

Archived